.

P.S. I Love You - Review

PS I Love You Book Review


Author: Cecelia Ahern
Publisher: HarperCollins
Publication Year: 2004
ISBN: 9780007712960
Pages: 424


P.S. I Love You is centered on Holly who has just lost her Husband Gerry to brain tumor. It is quite difficult for her to live without him now. She has succumbed herself to never ending pain of separation and has literally stopped living her life. It has been months but she is reluctant to stay immersed in his memories forever.

Soon, she finds out that her husband has written some letters for her before he died and he wanted him to open each letter with respect to the month mentioned over it and do as asked. Excited about the idea that Gerry’s presence would still be there with her, she sets off on an emotional journey which takes place in accordance with what her husband wanted for her through those letters. 


Let me first tell everyone that I had watched the P.S. I Love You movie adaptation long back and loved it. I had decided that I will certainly read the book in future as I always feel that books are better than their adaptation. But for the first time, I was wrong. I should not be comparing the two as they both are different mediums and there is a lot of difference between the two. They changed quite many things while adapting to the movie. But I can’t help it.

First of all, hats off to the concept that Cecilia Ahern has developed in P.S. I Love You. This is what had made the book and film franchise so popular. It begins intensely with heartwarming mentions and narration. But then you are thrown with so many things that the actual plot with which the story started start losing its importance. Secondly, I felt that the emotional trauma is far too stretched in the book that it loses its importance somewhere even before the mid of the book. It’s like it was never going to end.

Now I would like to bring in a bit of comparison. In the movie P.S. I Love You, there was a nice gap between when Holly feels overwhelmed or breaks down emotionally. This made those sequences punchier and more heart felt. In the book, she is constantly having a war with loneliness and depression that it becomes stretchy and dull. Somewhere in the mid, I just felt like finishing the book as soon as I could rather than grasping and consuming all the emotions.

The thing is that I did not hate P.S. I Love You like I may sound. For me, it was a nice tale of love and loss. The idea was brilliant and there were places where the words really touch your heart. For all those places, you must read the book if you like romance fictions. But, it could have been improved a lot and could have been shorter. That would have made it much more effective.

Shoot for the moon, even if you fail, you'll land among the stars.


Previous
Next Post »

5 comments

Write comments
Shruti Modi
AUTHOR
April 6, 2014 at 3:16 PM delete

I havent seen the movie yet so not sure how different it was and which is better, but yea; i will watch it sometime soon.
i liked the book .. i did land up getting my eyes wet as i was flown in emotions :P
but yea at places it was bit too stretchy.. it could have been toned down..

Reply
avatar
April 6, 2014 at 7:15 PM delete

Absolutely love both the book and the movie..Ive read the book first and it's one of ma favorite which I can read again and again. Beautifully narrated:)

Reply
avatar
Anmol Rawat
AUTHOR
April 7, 2014 at 12:00 AM delete

He He. I know that already ;)

Reply
avatar
Anmol Rawat
AUTHOR
April 7, 2014 at 12:01 AM delete

Different people different views :)

Reply
avatar
Anmol Rawat
AUTHOR
April 7, 2014 at 12:03 AM delete

I knew, I would be going against so many fans with this review, but I just want to clarify one thing. It is my opinion and by no means I am trying to demoralize anybody or saying that Cecilia Ahern is not a good writer or she can be better or anything. It is just my opinion and I am sure there are many for who, this book is the best they have ever read. So it just varies from person to person. Even I aspire to be an author someday and I know I too will have to face the same situation anyhow if I do become one ;)

Reply
avatar

Shower the Love if you Liked the Post :) ConversionConversion EmoticonEmoticon