.

Do Dreams and Passions exist in India?

Do Dreams and Passions Exist?

Born in India? Are you an Engineer or doctor? True dreams, passion, do they exist? Are they being chased by this generation?

This is an extremely complex topic. I don’t know how to write about it straight and thus I will begin with the fact that it varies from person to person.

I myself studied non-medical in school and wanted to be an engineer. Please mind the fact that I did not even know how many types of engineering are there and what sort of work does an engineer do actually. I was never forced for it by my parents but I chose that as everybody I knew or I was close to was doing it. However when I was shortlisted in a college for Mechanical Engineering, I thought that this was not me (I had a little bit knowledge about the field by then).

I was drawn towards the field of animation and visual effects. My cousin was doing it and I was immersed with whole interest into it. So I decided to pursue that. I completed that along with my graduation in English Hons. but I’m still looking for a job. Now all my close friends went up with engineering and most of them have a decent job. So sometimes, I do think that life would have been much better if I had gone with the wind.

I took up a job of content writing after some time. I left it and pursued with freelance. I started my own website and I also started blogging. With time, writing has become a passion. I want to write a book and I will definitely write one in future. Of course what I don’t know is the path that I will have to go through to achieve my dream (you need to earn your bread right?). All I know is that I will fight my way through and one day I will.

All these years, my parents have always supported me with my decisions. Most of them were wrong though but they seemed right at that moment. As for my friends, not all are happy with their jobs. Yes, they have a decent job and pursuing their own field but they don’t find interest in that now. Some of them are happy as well.

In India, some children are definitely forced to pursue with doctorate or engineering. But there are so many cases where children don’t know anything other than these two careers. All they have heard all their lives is about these two fields. So they find their dreams in them and not all are happy with the end results even if they get settled. There are so many celebrities who were pursuing engineering and dropped out to continue with their passion. You can Google the names and you will be shocked.

So I will say that true dreams and passion do exist. Eventually a person finds out his dream or passion and if the person is a courageous one, that dream is definitely chased. These days, there are so many opportunities for talents in so many fields. Let us not go far, there are so many aspiring authors who are blogging right now. There are so many websites which have made their blogging experience worthwhile and have been giving them so many opportunities to stand tall. Thus if you want to convert your dream into reality, you will definitely chase it and put in efforts.

It is not about the generation on whole. It is more about the individual. Parents these days have started understanding their children and most of them support their ambitions. With time, more exposure is being offered to various other fields as well. You just need to find the right path and you can definitely live your dreams.  

This post is written for IndiSpire22.

Also linking the post with The Ultimate Blog Challenge.



Previous
Next Post »

28 comments

Write comments
panaecea
AUTHOR
July 18, 2014 at 6:12 AM delete

Good and optimistic post. Lucky are those who are able to chase their dreams

Reply
avatar
Anita
AUTHOR
July 18, 2014 at 8:13 AM delete

Candidly expressed, Anmol.
Agree with your views.
Look at the movie- 3 Idiots - Engineer/Doctor is so important!
Best wishes to you.
May your dreams come true.

Reply
avatar
pixelvoyages
AUTHOR
July 18, 2014 at 10:40 AM delete

Well said. A career choice is confusing for most I think. We have no experience of what a day in the life of a particular profession is. Even if we have the benefit of that knowledge, it is difficult to predict what your own working environment might be. Moreover, in today's age when money is not just a means of survival but, a status tool societal pressure on parents/wards to choose the 'right' profession is immense. I guess it is up to us to prioritize our needs and wants, follow our passion and not give a damn about the world thinks.

Reply
avatar
Kokila Gupta
AUTHOR
July 18, 2014 at 1:10 PM delete

Yes they do exist in India....for the gifted or the rich... Others have to earn them... by trial and error , a dash of smart thinking, a bit of positive attitude and all the dahi-cheeni of mum :)

Reply
avatar
Datta Ghosh
AUTHOR
July 18, 2014 at 3:59 PM delete

Beautifully expressed Anmol, it was so candid

Reply
avatar
July 18, 2014 at 9:33 PM delete

How well I can relate to this post esp. in the first few paras ... well expressed !

Reply
avatar
Katrina
AUTHOR
July 20, 2014 at 12:09 AM delete

Great blog post about following your passion. I hope you do create your book and get it published. Best of luck!

Reply
avatar
Judy Yaron
AUTHOR
July 20, 2014 at 12:14 AM delete

Thank you Anmol for sharing your world and culture. Not only in India do parents urge (to put it gently) their children to pursue worthy careers (socially and financially) regardless of what their kids want. But, it's not only the parents - it's society and our culture. I have always encouraged my own kids and young people I engage with to follow their hearts. First figure out what you love to do, and then find a way to get someone to pay you to do it! Good luck! HUGS <3

Reply
avatar
vishalbheeroo
AUTHOR
July 20, 2014 at 12:28 AM delete

I am glad that you wrote this post which is the need of the hour. Sometimes, we listen too much to our parents which makes us unhappy and turn into robots. I mean, for whom? For society.
http://vishal-newkidontheblock.blogspot.com/2014/07/an-orkut-love-story-chapter-19.html

Reply
avatar
ruchi2312
AUTHOR
July 20, 2014 at 1:53 AM delete

Dreams & Passion exists :-) & I also believed in both, during my journey. Good wishes for your all dreams & passion.

Reply
avatar
July 20, 2014 at 7:58 AM delete

Hey Anmol

Were you talking to me?! hehee

I identified with your every word, bud! You are right in that, unfortunately, only Engineering and Medicine are considered lucrative fields in India - and therefore encouraged.

Since I cannot even draw a box, I chose Engineering ;) I was a wonderful student, but my heart was NEVER in Science. I didn't study to learn. I didn't study to become wise. I didn't study to evolve. I studied to get good grades, which I DID!

After several ups and downs, I have chosen to listen to the whispers of my soul and become a writer. It's going to be a long - and lonely - struggle, but never underestimate the power of your passion, eh?

Keep penning - #HUGSSS

Kitto

Reply
avatar
Anmol Rawat
AUTHOR
July 21, 2014 at 11:56 PM delete

Thank you :)
Yes such people are certainly lucky :)

Reply
avatar
Anmol Rawat
AUTHOR
July 21, 2014 at 11:57 PM delete

Thank you Anita :)
Yeah that movie (I have not read the book) was awesome and very much thought provoking. You know so well to tag a movie ;)

Thank you for your wishes :)

Reply
avatar
Anmol Rawat
AUTHOR
July 21, 2014 at 11:59 PM delete

Well said :)
Money has become an important factor. Plus there is too much pressure. Even when you have only entered the college, you have so many thoughts in mind. You have to score good, get placed in a good company, earn enough money so you can be eligible for a suitable partner and then you will be having your own kids. I don't understand how do you live your dreams. I might write another post on the same.

Reply
avatar
Anmol Rawat
AUTHOR
July 22, 2014 at 12:01 AM delete

That was such a sweet comment :)
Yes, if you are not rich, there is a lot of struggle ahead you without any surety of any result. Probably I'm facing the same and I hope to find a right path soon :)

Reply
avatar
Anmol Rawat
AUTHOR
July 22, 2014 at 12:02 AM delete

Thank you :) I guess it is not the story of me or us and many people might be able to relate :)

Reply
avatar
Anmol Rawat
AUTHOR
July 22, 2014 at 12:02 AM delete

Thank you Katrina :) If I could, that would be the happiest moment of my life. :)

Reply
avatar
Anmol Rawat
AUTHOR
July 22, 2014 at 12:04 AM delete

Thanks for sharing the fact Judy :) You're a good mother then. I hope the kids find the path to their dreams and fulfill them :)

Thank you for the wishes !
Hugs :)

Reply
avatar
Anmol Rawat
AUTHOR
July 22, 2014 at 12:04 AM delete

Yeah right. All we have to care the entire life is about society. Sometimes I really hate our society!

Reply
avatar
Anmol Rawat
AUTHOR
July 22, 2014 at 12:06 AM delete

Yeah they do :)
Thank you Ruchi!

Reply
avatar
Anmol Rawat
AUTHOR
July 22, 2014 at 12:07 AM delete

Yeah I guess :D And to so many other people too.

That's great :) I hope you get everlasting success with your writing!

Yeah I will keep penning no matter what :)

Thank you for the wishes.
Hugs :)

Reply
avatar
July 22, 2014 at 12:14 PM delete

It's true what you said. Medicine and Engineering are the normal conventional careers. But, look at your case, you did what you thought best, and after stumbling a little you have found what you are passionate about - writing. I wish you all the best!

Reply
avatar
July 23, 2014 at 6:37 AM delete

In my case, I was already an engineer and had an engineering job for 6.5 years, before deciding to make a mid-career shift to writing! I love the journey so far, and I think it can only become better. It's definitely challenging but worth every bit of the challenge. All the best to you too!

Destination Infinity

Reply
avatar
Anmol Rawat
AUTHOR
July 26, 2014 at 12:02 AM delete

Yeah :)
Thank you so much for the wishes :)

Reply
avatar
Anmol Rawat
AUTHOR
July 26, 2014 at 12:03 AM delete

Yes it is quite challenging. Look at me, i have not even begun. It is indeed a long journey. A lot of wishes to you buddy. Wish for your success :)

Reply
avatar

Shower the Love if you Liked the Post :) ConversionConversion EmoticonEmoticon