.

Lost in Pattaya - Review

Lost in Pattaya by Kishore Modak Book Review

Lost in Pattaya Rating and Review

Author: Kishore Modak
Publisher: Grapevine India
Publication Year: 2014
ISBN: 9789381841228
Pages: 215



Lost in Pattaya begins (as mentioned on the back page as well) with what can be every dad’s nightmare – His little girl goes missing. To add up to the misery, his girl goes missing in Pattaya.

His nightmare takes up a pointed turn when he loses his job and is filed for a divorce by his wife. He is left all baffled with the twists and turns of his life but is determined to find his little girl who for all reasons could be a part of sex trade now. He embarks on a journey to find her through the brothels of Pattaya but when he finally finds her, he receives the biggest shock of his life.

Ensnared with the web of mafia and the sex trade, will he be able to rescue his daughter and himself?


Frankly speaking, I was spell bounded with the plot of Lost in Pattaya but after reading a few pages, I was not satisfied at all. The pace was slow for me and there was no way I could feel any empathy for the protagonist who had just lost her daughter. He was a damaged father and turning every other page, my hatred was rising against him.

But when eventually he finds her, I was all hooked with Lost in Pattaya. The shock of revelation was as hard hitting for me as for the character. It infused a new wave of interest in me and soon I was turning pages more rapidly eager to know what will happen next.

The story also picked up pace after that. There were so many turns in it that it kept me on the edge of my chair. Finally, when I was done reading it whole, I understood the hype behind Lost in Pattaya.

I would not like to say much about it as I don’t want to give away spoilers and ruin your reading experience. But by the end I understood that probably I never had to be sympathetic towards the protagonist. He was by all means a damaged character with so many addictions that you just can’t. Even in his grief, I felt angered towards his attitude and nature. But he was not a hero. He was just a simple person who went on with a self-discovery throughout the book (it is my opinion and you might differ).

The grim details of the sex trade in Pattaya and the mafia web that is also chained along with it was the highlighting factor of Lost in Pattaya for me. Some of the extracts were so gruesome that you might cringe at the mere thought. The gruesome violence and the state of prostitutes was pretty rich in expression as well.

Lost in Pattaya offered me a different reading experience above all the facts. The theme and plot was different from the books I read and it was good to have a change. The only things I did not like in the book is the slow pace in the beginning and the fate of some characters in the end. It was almost hurtful to read it. But other than that, it offered me a great read and I would like to recommend it to people who can stand the grisly details of sex trade and mafia web in Thailand.


PS: I got the review copy of Lost in Pattaya by Grapevine India on being asked by the author himself. I thank him for considering me for the review copy and I thank Grapevine India for delivering the book with a handwritten letter giving it a personal touch. It really means a lot.
In the rubble of dead flesh and wasted youth, I would pose as a client seeking child prostitutes, working through the pile of girl children till I stumbled upon Li Ya, my own flesh.


Previous
Next Post »

6 comments

Write comments
Viyoma
AUTHOR
July 23, 2014 at 6:07 PM delete

Interesting...I think I know what will be my next book order on Flipkart after reading this review. Somewhere..i find vague similarities between this story and Rani Mukherjee's upcoming movie Mardaani

Reply
avatar
July 23, 2014 at 6:08 PM delete

Sounds like it may just be a good a book that I will have to get on Kindle. Thank you for sharing the review.

Reply
avatar
July 23, 2014 at 6:32 PM delete

The plot is very interesting.. Would love to share this

Reply
avatar
Anmol Rawat
AUTHOR
July 25, 2014 at 1:10 AM delete

Thank you for dropping by :)
Oh yes if you can stand it all, you can definitely try the book.

Reply
avatar
Anmol Rawat
AUTHOR
July 25, 2014 at 1:11 AM delete

Thank you :) If you like the genre, you may like it more than me.

Reply
avatar
Anmol Rawat
AUTHOR
July 25, 2014 at 1:11 AM delete

Yes! It is definitely a good read :)

Reply
avatar

Shower the Love if you Liked the Post :) ConversionConversion EmoticonEmoticon