.

The Shining (The Shining #1) - Review

Stephen King's The Shining Review

Stephen King's The Shining Rating

Author:Stephen King
Publisher: Hodder & Stoughton
Publication Year: 2011
ISBN: 9781444720723
Pages: 497



The Shining focusses on the Torrance family. Jack Torrance, the male adult of the family has taken up a job at the Overlook Hotel as the off-season caretaker in order to give their lives a fresh start. Not only this job will provide to them in the financial terms but will also offer him enough time to reconnect with the family and work on his play (as a writer).

But least did he know that the harsh winter will not be the only trouble they will have to look after. There is something much more sinister to the Overlook Hotel which he can’t acknowledge at present. But the person who is aware of the fact is his five year old boy Danny who has a special gift of The Shining. As the time passes, the true evil nature of the Overlook Hotel is brought to the fore. Will the Torrance family be able to survive the macabre reality?


The first time I ever tried reading Stephen King was when I was not an avid book reader. The book was Dreamcatcher and I was so bored with it that I left it midway. So, The Shining is actually the first book that I have read of the author (complete) and I must say that it was an awesome experience.

I have not read anything more than Goosebumps when it comes to horror and I did it back in childhood. So, The Shining was all together a new experience for me and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Not many characters are involved with the storyline and that’s how I like it the best. Less characters offers enough time for each one of them to be presented with thorough details and make them close to you as you progress (for me).

For most of the pages, the story revolves around the three member of the Torrance family only. The name, The Shining has been derived from the special abilities that are possessed by the kid Danny which are referred to as the same name. What are those abilities? I would not want to spoil it out for you and thus will stay mum.

The book had a decent pace. It was not fast and it was not slow as well. The best thing is that the pace won’t matter to you as you will soon be hooked with the excellent storytelling of Stephen King. Here, I would like to add the fact that by the time you are done with half of the book, it will actually turn so much creepy that you might actually start feeling scared.

The time I chose to read The Shining was somewhere between 1 am and 2 am. At that time in the night/morning, I often felt chills down my spine while reading through some of the pages. It was a scary experience and it clarified why the world is crazy for the author. The way he describes and narrates the spooky things is just awesome.

The story itself is pretty nice and there is no sense of pity for any of the character for it. Everything seems so real and you won’t feel that things are forced to offer something pleasing to the readers.

The Shining is an awesome piece of writing and storytelling that you sure as hell would not want to miss it. I would categorize it under the category of psychological-horror-thriller. If you like the genre or if you want to give it a try, I would suggest you go for this book.
Wendy? Darling? Light, of my life. I'm not gonna hurt ya. I'm just going to bash your brains in.


Previous
Next Post »

11 comments

Write comments
Reema D'souza
AUTHOR
July 28, 2014 at 3:16 PM delete

Looks to be a great read Anmol. A nice review :)

Reply
avatar
July 28, 2014 at 3:22 PM delete

Your excellent review did the novel and writer justice. I guess there is a valid reason why Stephen King's plots hold the reader's attention, and why they make excellent movies.

Reply
avatar
July 28, 2014 at 4:11 PM delete

I like the genre. Like watching movies of this genre. Haven't read a book like this. A good review, Anmol. :) In case I read this I will share my views as well.

Reply
avatar
vishalbheeroo
AUTHOR
July 29, 2014 at 1:21 AM delete

Hey that's an interesting review, Anmol. Ive read him like long time back, don't remember when..may be reason to catch up with King:)
http://vishal-newkidontheblock.blogspot.com/2014/07/an-orkut-love-story-chapter-28.html

Reply
avatar
SuperLux
AUTHOR
July 29, 2014 at 4:52 AM delete

intriguing. will work up the courage to read this though. :P

Reply
avatar
Anmol Rawat
AUTHOR
July 31, 2014 at 12:41 PM delete

Thank you Reema. Yeah it sure it :)

Reply
avatar
Anmol Rawat
AUTHOR
July 31, 2014 at 12:42 PM delete

True. He is an excellent storyteller. I never had expected that I will get goosebumps while READING. But it was one hell of a creepy book.

Reply
avatar
Anmol Rawat
AUTHOR
July 31, 2014 at 12:43 PM delete

You should read it then :)
I had never expected that reading a horror fiction can be so interesting and creepy.

Reply
avatar
Anmol Rawat
AUTHOR
July 31, 2014 at 12:44 PM delete

Yeah he has been famous all these years but still I never picked up as his books are usually the thick ones :p But it was all worth it :)

Reply
avatar
Anmol Rawat
AUTHOR
July 31, 2014 at 12:44 PM delete

He He. Would love to read your experience afterwards :)

Reply
avatar
Anita
AUTHOR
August 1, 2014 at 11:47 AM delete

Not read even a single book of Stephen King...
How do you manage, Anmol? :)

Reply
avatar

Shower the Love if you Liked the Post :) ConversionConversion EmoticonEmoticon