.

Private India - Review

Private India Book Review

Private India Book Rating

Author:James Patterson and Ashwin Sanghi
Publisher: Arrow Books
Publication Year: 2014
ISBN: 9780099586395
Pages:470



A serial killer is on loose. The targets are women and the killings suggest a ritualistic modus operandi. But why is the killer killing all the unconnected women and what about the strange objects that are found in each of the murder scene?

Santosh Wagh is the head of Private India’s Mumbai branch, the world’s finest PI agency. He along with his team is on the hunt of the killer. But even he is unaware of the complexities of the case and the shocking revelations.

Who is this killer and what is the purpose or intention behind all the killings? Will Santosh Wagh and his team be able to find out the killer before it’s too late?


Before I begin with my review, I must tell you that I have read two books by Aswin Sanghi so far - The Rozabal Line and Chanakya’s Chant. While the former suffered of the poor narration and abundance of facts, the latter was too boring for my taste. But even then, I liked the former one.

So, I’m not one of those big fans of Ashwin Sanghi. Also, I have not read any book by James Patterson so far. But still I wanted to read the book as the plot seemed interesting and it has been long since I had read a mystery thriller.

Private India picked up a blazing speed the moment I turned a few pages and the first murder occurred. The guessing game had already begun inside my mind and I kept on turning the pages till I found out that I had read almost 100 in a go. So first of all, I would like to appreciate the pacing of the book. It is so fast paced that you will lose the track of your time. I could feel the essence of James Patterson, not because I know his style but because Ashwin Sanghi is fond of a slow pace. This was a big plus point for me as the book for 450 pages long.

The plot of Private India is decent enough for a murder mystery. The thing I did not like is the sub plot in the back drop which felt completely use less and ill cooked. There was no need for that and they could have just went ahead with the main plot. It would have saved them some pages as well.

You won’t believe me if I said that when I was the mystery was revealed, I was feeling glad because that is what I had guessed. There were two things that I had guessed absolutely right and that too so early. I won’t write it out here as it will spoil your reading experience.

You know you are reading Ashwin Sanghi in Private India when the proceedings or I shall say the murders link back to a ritual (which is not overtly explained). That is the moment that I started liking the book more. But it is a shame that the explanations in the end are sort of weak. It sort of ends too quickly.

Overall, Private India sufficed with my expectations. It was a pacy thriller with a decent mystery and I liked the book for that. I just wish they had not involved a sub plot which deteriorated the quality of the book. I now understand all the hype behind James Patterson. This book was a page turner.


This review is a part of the biggest Book Review Program for Indian Bloggers. Participate now to get free books!
 
Previous
Next Post »

8 comments

Write comments
August 20, 2014 at 8:28 PM delete

Thank you for the informative review :)

Reply
avatar
August 21, 2014 at 1:06 AM delete

Great review. I'm a James Patterson Fan but I'm cautious about books where he is the co-author as some of them are great and others are so so. He definitely is into attention grabbing introduction and when they are good his book keep you wondering.

Reply
avatar
Soumya
AUTHOR
August 21, 2014 at 3:06 PM delete

Similar thoughts indeed. I felt the book was way toooooooooooo long!

Reply
avatar
Anmol Rawat
AUTHOR
August 22, 2014 at 6:32 PM delete

Well I can assure you that this one is surly worth your time. If not anything else, it is fast paced with a good mystery at the end.

Reply
avatar
Anmol Rawat
AUTHOR
August 22, 2014 at 6:33 PM delete

He He :D For some reason I felt the sub plot was un-necessary but other than that it was fast paced. I can't beleive I read 450 pages in such a short duration. Bold and spacious font might be the reason ;)

Reply
avatar
Raksha Bhat
AUTHOR
August 23, 2014 at 5:29 PM delete

I had so many issues with this book, the only solace was I could finish it fast :-)

Reply
avatar
Anmol Rawat
AUTHOR
August 24, 2014 at 8:03 PM delete

Lol :D To each his/her own ;)

Reply
avatar

Shower the Love if you Liked the Post :) ConversionConversion EmoticonEmoticon