.

Gone Girl - Review

Gone Girl Book Review

Gone Girl Book Rating

Author: Gillian Flynn
Publisher: Phoenix
Publication Year: 2012
ISBN: 9781780221359
Pages: Paperback, 466 pages



Nick and Amy Dunne have their fifth wedding anniversary when Amy disappears from their house without any clue. Being the husband, he is the prime suspect and thus becomes the center of interrogation. The passages from Amy’s diary reveals some bitter truth about their marriage which was not working off lately.

The police suspects that Nick has killed his wife but he keeps on denying even though there are several evidences against him. There’s only Nick’s sister Margo who stands by him. Is he speaking the truth? But if he’s not lying, where has Amy disappeared?


I picked up Gone Girl because it was the Goodreads choice winner in 2012 under thrillers category. Also, the book has gained so much popularity that everybody who likes to read thrillers is picking it up and sharing a good review. Yes, I haven’t read a bad review so far in my circle. To top it up, the movie is going to release soon and David Fincher is the director. How could I miss that? But since I prefer reading books first, I began reading it.

Right from the beginning and I mean right from the first page, Gone Girl kept me intrigued. I loved the style of narration and it kept getting interesting as I turned the pages. A wife goes missing and no one has a clue about it. It was certainly a different plot which became unique through the narration. I kept turning the pages as things kept going interesting and soon I had reached the end of the first part. Let me tell you that this was the best section for me as it had raised so many questions and the mystery was top notch.

The revelation will hit you in the beginning of the second part of the Gone Girl. I had not expected it to go in that direction and it was simply perfect for me. But the book was still left with half of the pages. I was a bit disappointed as I started reading further. The whole first section, the mystery has kept he hooked and now after the revelation, I did not have much to hold on to.

Gone Girl literally lost a bit of the grip on me after that but soon things started picking up again. A lot of twists and turns came in and I was interested again. The third section of the book was a little off the mark but then it all combined to form a novel worth praising.

I have already said that I loved the narration and the basic plot of Gone Girl. Secondly, I liked how Gillian Flynn has crafted the character of Amy. I’m not saying that the development of Nick was bad but Amy wins it clearly for me. It is strange that you might feel sad for the characters at one place but it might turn to hatred the next moment. The author plants a conflict even in the minds of the readers and that conflict will stay even when you finish off the book. Saying anything more might prove to be a spoiler for you all and thus I am trying to be careful with what I write.

Overall, I did not felt Gone Girl to be perfect. The book goes down the graph somewhere in the middle. The end portions are rushed and it ends at a point that might leave the readers angry. But I liked how it ended. The best part is that it is a racy read if you like the genre. It will keep you hooked till you finish it off. I don’t like thrillers much but this book is clearly an exception; a unique piece in every way.

There’s something disturbing about recalling a warm memory and feeling utterly cold.

Previous
Next Post »

8 comments

Write comments
Shareef S M A
AUTHOR
October 7, 2014 at 11:39 PM delete

I wonder why only flipkart.com link.. Isn't it available in any other online purchasing site?

Reply
avatar
Dannii Martin
AUTHOR
October 8, 2014 at 5:12 PM delete

I really want to see the film, but I want to read the book first. Going to take it away on holiday with me in a couple of weeks.

Reply
avatar
October 8, 2014 at 6:56 PM delete

Like a lot of others I definitely want to see the film but this made me want to pick up the book first and foremost :)

Thanks for that and for sharing your thoughts on Gone Girl!

Have a great day :)

Reply
avatar
Vidya Sury
AUTHOR
October 8, 2014 at 11:03 PM delete

I like books like these, Anmol. Your review makes the book sound very promising! Thank you for sharing

Reply
avatar
Anmol Rawat
AUTHOR
October 9, 2014 at 1:00 PM delete

1) If you buy books and read them, then you will know every site where you can buy.
2) I personally buy from Flipkart. You might also wonder why only one ISBN is given, since there are many others too. But that's my copy. Similarly Flipkart is a place from where I bought.
3) I own an affiliate account on Flipkart.

No offenses.

Reply
avatar
Anmol Rawat
AUTHOR
October 9, 2014 at 1:08 PM delete

It's a must read. Do read before watching :)

Reply
avatar
Anmol Rawat
AUTHOR
October 9, 2014 at 1:09 PM delete

I'm glad if my review had that power ;)
Have a great day and do read before you watch :)

Reply
avatar
Anmol Rawat
AUTHOR
October 9, 2014 at 1:09 PM delete

Oh! Then you will love this book :)

Reply
avatar

Shower the Love if you Liked the Post :) ConversionConversion EmoticonEmoticon