.

Why do We Worship God?

Why do We Worship God?

IndiSpire #37: Why do we worship god? Share your reasons for worshiping gods.

I do not worship god. I am an atheist and before you start reading ahead, I just wanted to tell you that you will be reading the thoughts of a non-believer and thus if you are easily hurt with people like me, you should not progress. I do not mean to offend anybody or any religion through my post and it is just my opinion on things that I am free to express.

First of all about the question, I believe if I would have been worshipping god (I used to do), it would have been without a reason. I simply believed in a higher power and offered my prayers to him/her.

Unfortunately I lost my faith and decided to believe the thought that there was no higher power. The world is inhabited by us, the humans. We are the gods and we are the devils. With all the violence and injustice happening around me, I can’t believe in any power or any god. Now some people do say that God did not ask men to fight and to commit crimes and it was by choice. But I say that if he can’t save a new born girl from being dumped into the river, a two year old girl from being raped, a guy killed while being bullied, a father being killed by his own son for money, a woman being exposed to domestic violence and so on, he don’t have my respect and I will never pray.

Coming to the question now, I have friends who believe and are ardent worshippers. I know other people too. Some of them worships without a selfish interest and some of them indulge seeking personal gains. There’s always something they want. They want money, they want jobs, they want to crack entrance, they want to get married to a suitable person, they want to flourish their business, and they want a long life and so on. If you are one of such people, please do not pray. If you pray out of fear, please do not pray. Pray only if you are selfless in your prayers and pray for the overall good of humanity.

Next, I want to emphasize on some interesting people. Such people eat chicken every day and leave out n some particular days saying that today is the day of god. Such people drink and abuse people who come in their way daily but leave out on certain days. If you notice the people rushing to the liquor shops on the very next day the navratris end, you will be amazed.

There are people who are creating riots in the name of the god. There are people looting people in the name of the god. There are people abusing the women physically in the name of the god. There are people making heinous sacrifices in the name of the god.

I want to emphasize on the fact that god has been worshipped for all the wrong reasons by many of us. In fact you don’t need any reason to worship. You just need to thank him for giving you this life. You don’t respect and worship your parents for some personal gain. It is likewise with the god.

I don’t intend to attract any unwanted attention through this post. Please use the comment section only to make a valid point and not to abuse me without any reason.

Previous
Next Post »

26 comments

Write comments
October 31, 2014 at 2:46 AM delete

We always worship God more when we're at peril..when we want something.... :-P This amuses me most.

The penultimate paragraph in your post..says it all and you have said it nicely indeed... :-)

Reply
avatar
Indrani
AUTHOR
October 31, 2014 at 6:05 AM delete

Very right observations. Well expressed.

Reply
avatar
i b arora
AUTHOR
October 31, 2014 at 9:03 AM delete

believing in God and worshiping God are two different things. those who worship Him may not necessarily believe in HIm

Reply
avatar
October 31, 2014 at 10:16 AM delete

It is a very interesting view point Anmol. I think it is beautiful to know perspectives of god from an atheist and from a firm believer. I honestly don't know where to place myself on the belief ladder. But it sometimes makes me think that the definition of god is quite interesting, esp when it comes to origin. - Who made what?! It is quite an interesting eternal debate I guess.

Nicely expressed thoughts mate :)

Cheers,
V

Reply
avatar
October 31, 2014 at 8:50 PM delete

very nice post anmol
I cudnt stop myself from reading this post
I agree with you but i do worship god
But still I dnt have any clear view

http://vanduchoudhary.blogspot.in/

Reply
avatar
KnottyMarie
AUTHOR
November 1, 2014 at 3:40 PM delete

I do worship God, but I agree there are a lot of Sunday Saints, Monday Aints running about.

Reply
avatar
November 1, 2014 at 4:00 PM delete

Your thoughts are similar to mine. I love a Creator, whom we cannot understand, who is so much greater than mankind. I see so much harm being done in the name of different religions. They can't represent the Higher Power. I like to think of my devotion like that of a little child, not understanding how things work, but being grateful for life.

Reply
avatar
Ankita
AUTHOR
November 1, 2014 at 4:19 PM delete

even most ardent of worshipers and devotes have wishes that they want to fulfill by making Gods happy so a 'give and take' element is always there. These days, people have made religion into a business or a tool for spreading misunderstandings and violence. I believe that the greatest religion is humanity.

Reply
avatar
Anmol Rawat
AUTHOR
November 1, 2014 at 7:12 PM delete

Yeah :D
Thank you so much :)

Reply
avatar
Anmol Rawat
AUTHOR
November 1, 2014 at 7:12 PM delete

I would have loved to hear some more on that opinion :)

Reply
avatar
Anmol Rawat
AUTHOR
November 1, 2014 at 7:15 PM delete

Yeah I agree. I believe there is no problem in whoever you are - a believer or a non believer. It's just the way you follow things. If we all can keep that in check and bring in the required changes for the overall welfare, the god will be happy even if he exists.

Reply
avatar
Anmol Rawat
AUTHOR
November 1, 2014 at 7:17 PM delete

Hmm it's perfectly fine Vandana :) Sometimes, you follow something without a clear mind. It's not bad believe me. The problem arises just from the people creating nuisance in the name of god and following traditions that restricts the modern demands. This is the reason that with time, equality is getting promoted. Although we are a long way from actually reaching there, every open mind is contributing for that.

Reply
avatar
Anmol Rawat
AUTHOR
November 1, 2014 at 7:19 PM delete

That is a good way to follow really :) I know so many people who will share your views and it is perfect.

Reply
avatar
Anmol Rawat
AUTHOR
November 1, 2014 at 7:20 PM delete

Oh those are exactly my views Ankita :) I also believe in humanity as the religion and I agree on each and every word written by you.

Reply
avatar
cifar shayar
AUTHOR
November 2, 2014 at 12:18 PM delete

I don't know how killers of humanity, terrorists, rioters say that they are doing it for god's sake, which god wish killing of his children. Also so many religion, so many gods , God of which religion is the most powerful? These so call believers are spoiling the world

God's Creator

Reply
avatar
Deepika Gupta
AUTHOR
November 2, 2014 at 3:15 PM delete

I completely respect your thought process..
But, I believe it gives us power to carry on when things are all bad... Faith helps that there is a power above.. :-)

Reply
avatar
Nima Das
AUTHOR
November 2, 2014 at 4:28 PM delete

Loved your post. I share and agree on everything you've said." We are the Gods and we are the devils" .....so aptly put. Also the point you said on prayers,I too get so annoyed by this.Why people always ask for things in prayers?I am too much of a cynic to believe in God and religion too so cheers to that.

Reply
avatar
November 3, 2014 at 10:51 PM delete

I agree with you Anmol..also worship gives some hope to weak minded people who have no strength to question ..If one is strong inside and follows the flow of life, worship will happen automatically...

Reply
avatar
November 5, 2014 at 1:27 AM delete

This atheist totally agrees :D In the previous comment, which disappeared :P I had written I am so going to write a post on this one and I finally did ;)
Agree with your thoughts bro!

Reply
avatar
Anmol Rawat
AUTHOR
December 9, 2014 at 2:39 AM delete

Absolutely! What's the use of religion if it is used as an arm to spread hatred instead of love?

Reply
avatar
Anmol Rawat
AUTHOR
December 9, 2014 at 2:40 AM delete

Thank you :)
Yes it does. But I have seen people falling for all the superstitions due to that faith and catching themselves in a web from where there is no return. It's good till you can keep astray from those things.

Reply
avatar
Anmol Rawat
AUTHOR
December 9, 2014 at 2:41 AM delete

Thank you Nima :)
It's always good to find like minded people :)

Reply
avatar
Anmol Rawat
AUTHOR
December 9, 2014 at 2:42 AM delete

Thank you Shashank :) Blogger tends to do that sometimes :p

Reply
avatar

Shower the Love if you Liked the Post :) ConversionConversion EmoticonEmoticon