.

Looking for Alaska - Review

Looking for Alaska - Review

Looking for Alaska - Rating

Author: John Green
Publisher: Harper Collins Publishers
Publication Year: 2013  (first published in 2005)
ISBN: 9780007523528
Pages: Paperback, 272 pages



Before: Miles Halter’s life has been one big nonevent so far. In order to pursue for the Greater Perhaps, he heads off to the world of Culver Creek Boarding School and his life turns upside down as he meets Alaska Young. Being gorgeous, funny, clever, popular, self-destructive and screwed-up, Alaska is miles different from Miles. She draws him into her world and steals his heart making him irretrievably different.

After: Nothing is ever the same for Miles Halter.


The Fault in Our Stars was the first book I read by John Green and I was completely amazed to see how beautiful he has narrated the story. That is undeniably one of the best book I have ever read. My craze and love for the book landed me on the debut work by the author - Looking for Alaska.

The story began with a section titled as ‘Before’ with a little heart below it. The first thing that came to my mind is “Before what?” I began reading and the story followed with chapters dedicated to the time before something happened. The number of days gradually decreases till you reach the middle of the book and finally get to know what happens.

Looking for Alaska went really good till that happening. The storytelling was refreshing and even the premise was refreshing. You get acknowledged with different characters and soon, their life become a part of yours. I wonder how closely the American teenagers would have been able to relate with it. Even though, I’m not a part of their culture, it was a fun filled experience. I’m already a fan of Green’s writing and I don’t have to tell anyone that he is an amazing narrator.

What happened in the middle of Looking for Alaska just broke my heart. I was not expecting that at all. It was all going great and then suddenly it hit my heart and the pang of events made my eyes moist.

Then begins the ‘After’ section of the book that glances on the days after the happening. I felt sad reading things and may be it did not make me cry but I was sad throughout and could feel the pain. John Green never fails to add the required relief and thus things become somewhat easy soon. Somewhere after a few pages came the element of mystery. This was intriguing and generated a whole new interest in the book. The only thing I did not like here is that things became a bit stretchy for me.

Nevertheless, I was satisfied with how things progressed further in Looking for Alaska. It raised so many inevitable questions about life and about us, the people. The whole idea of labyrinth was fascinating. Believe me when I say that I was completely satisfied with how the book ended. You get about three pages of what Miles was able to analyze about the labyrinth of life after the incidents that happened and how he finally found a way out of labyrinth.

Overall, Looking for Alaska is a must read. I did not like it as much as The Fault in Our Stars if I compare but then, both of these books were different on the basic premise. But I loved it and I loved Alaska Young even with the traits. I laughed at places, I felt the pang of pain, I almost felt like cheering up for the pranks they played, I felt the aura of love, I felt the teenage world and I loved it.

Surely, I'm going to pick more books by John Green now.

Thomas Edison's last words were 'It's very beautiful over there'. I don't know where there is, but I believe it's somewhere, and I hope it's beautiful.
The only way out of the labyrinth of suffering is to forgive.
When adults say, "Teenagers think they are invincible" with that sly, stupid smile on their faces, they don't know how right they are. We need never be hopeless, because we can never be irreparably broken. We think that we are invincible because we are. We cannot be born, and we cannot die. Like all energy, we can only change shapes and sizes and manifestations. They forget that when they get old. They get scared of losing and failing. But that part of us greater than the sum of our parts cannot begin and cannot end, and so it cannot fail.

Previous
Next Post »

4 comments

Write comments
KnottyMarie
AUTHOR
November 5, 2014 at 1:51 PM delete

Great review. Thanks! It was interesting to learn of the twists and turns of the book.

Reply
avatar
November 8, 2014 at 7:10 PM delete

This book is on my wishlist. Especially after reading TFIOS. Thanks for the review :)

Reply
avatar
Anmol Rawat
AUTHOR
December 3, 2014 at 1:06 PM delete

It's good but don't expect anything like The Fault in Our Stars. It's different :)

Reply
avatar

Shower the Love if you Liked the Post :) ConversionConversion EmoticonEmoticon