.

The Gift - Review


Looking for Alaska - Rating

Author: Cecelia Ahern
Publisher: HarperCollins
Publication Year: 2009 (first published in 2008)
ISBN: 9780007284979
Pages: Hardcover, 305 pages



The Gift revolves around Lou Suffern who likes to keep himself busy in his career life. So busy that he hardly gets any time for his family. There are always two places he wants to be. His entire family misses him in their life.

On an early winter morning, Lou meets a homeless guy Gabe sitting outside his office building. Upon building the fact that he can be useful for his personal gains, he gets Gabe a job as the mailing staff.

But soon, he starts hating his decision. He thinks that Gabe want to take his position and his presence unsettles him. But what is the most shocking fact is the mystery that allows Gabe to be at two different places at the same time.

As the Christmas draws closer, Lou starts understanding his mistakes. Why and How? Who is Gabe? How does he help Lou in the ultimate realization of his life? Will Lou be able to correct his mistakes and value his family more than his work? What is The Gift?

Step into the magical world of Cecelia Ahern as she unfolds a fantasy that will keep you glued till the end and will surprise you with the insightful revelations.



I had only run one book by Cecilia Ahern prior to this and that was P.S. I Love You. I liked it but it was not great. Somehow, I liked the movie more; probably because I watched the movie first. Anyhow, The Gift was a completely different thing. I have a habit of not reading blurb before reading a book. I just pick up the books by popular authors usually. Thus, I did not know anything about the book and was expecting a chick lit again. However, this is a complete different take.

The Gift was an easy read right from the beginning. I kept reading and soon some mystery elements were introduced making it further indulging. At least, it worked for me. Soon, the characters became a part of my day. I kept thinking why everything was happening and the plot got more and more interesting.

When the revelations were made, I was left shocked. It was extremely insightful with the message that it ended. The best part was that all the plot was woven with the fabric of fantasy. The characters and their lives were a part of our real world but an intriguing fantasy element was present that I can’t explain without spoiling it for you.

I certainly liked The Gift more than P.S. I Love you. It was different from the fictions I read. Cecilia Ahern undoubtedly is a really good author. I am so much impressed by her writing. This was not a perfect book. It had all the clich├ęs of such a theme and probably that is the reason why I have read so many bad reviews as well. But I liked it and I liked her as a writer. She takes you into her own world and all the time you are there, you don’t want to stop till you are finished.

Overall, I will definitely suggest The Gift to everyone. If you are not into serious literature stuff, this will certainly make you a fan of Cecilia Ahern. I’m sure I will be picking up more of her books very soon.

Time cannot be packaged and ribboned and left under trees for Christmas morning. Time can't be given. But it can be shared.

Previous
Next Post »

6 comments

Write comments
Sathya Priya
AUTHOR
November 10, 2014 at 3:09 AM delete

Nice review ..I read books very rare ,but your review is compelling me to read this book.

Reply
avatar
Anmol Rawat
AUTHOR
November 10, 2014 at 1:32 PM delete

Thank you Sathya :) Hope you like it.

Reply
avatar
November 10, 2014 at 3:45 PM delete

By showing us how you reacted in a personal way to the story, you've given an excellent insight without revealing the plot, which, frankly, doesn't entice me to read as much as your review does.

Reply
avatar
KnottyMarie
AUTHOR
November 10, 2014 at 5:27 PM delete

I got out of the habit of reading a few years ago.. but your review makes me want to check this one out.

Reply
avatar
Anmol Rawat
AUTHOR
December 17, 2014 at 1:45 AM delete

Wow that's a huge compliment for me :) Thank you so much.

Reply
avatar
Anmol Rawat
AUTHOR
December 17, 2014 at 1:46 AM delete

Hope you like it :) And you should never get out of reading, it's blissful :)

Reply
avatar

Shower the Love if you Liked the Post :) ConversionConversion EmoticonEmoticon