.

Bloody Mary


Our families were having a get together. I hated it. Going to these get-together parties meant being bullied by other kids. While my parents thought that we were playing, the other kids bullied me and made fun of me. I was one of the less talkative girls and they used to tease me a lot. They never liked my dresses. They never liked how my mother tied my hair. We were one of the poor families in comparison but my mother was friends with these rich people right from her college days. I am not sure if even dad felt comfortable at such reunions.

The five of them had already planned out when we reached. As usual, the kids were sent away till  dinner while the parents sat for a drink. Suzy, the one whose house we were in took us to her room that was present on the second floor. They told me that today we were going to play Bloody Mary. I had no idea what they were talking about but soon everything became clear.

The five of them gave me a candle. Suzy explained to me.

“The game is simple. You have to go inside the bathroom. I will shut down the power from the main power source. You have to stand in front of the mirror. Then, you have to light the candle and say ‘Bloody Mary’ five times. Once done, you have to blow the candle off. The door will be close but I will be watching over you from the keyhole. So don’t cheat.”

“What will happen when I do it?” I asked.

“They say that when you switch on the light after that, you see the ghost of Mary in the mirror.”

I was terrified on listening that. “I won’t do it please,” I begged.

"You have to do it," Suzy said. The other joined in as well. They pushed me inside the bathroom. I tried to shout but Suzy closed my mouth. They pushed me and closed the door. I banged on the bathroom door. I was scared.

Probably they had closed the room’s door and so the thudding noise could not reach my parent’s ears. Or probably they were too drunk by now. 10 minutes passed away and I gave up.

“We will open the door when you do it,” Suzy said from outside the door.

Seeking no other option, I stood up with the candle in my hand. I wiped my tears and lit the candle. My own reflection in the mirror scared me and I fell back. I could hear the kids laughing. Suzy was watching through the keyhole I remembered.

“I don’t want to do this,” I shouted as more tears escaped my eyes.

“You will have to do this or we will keep you locked till dinner which is two hours away.”
I got up gathering my courage and lifted the candle in my hand.

Looking at the mirror, I said the words.

“Bloody Mary”

“Bloody Mary”

“Bloody Mary”

The flame flickered making those odd shadows and I felt a chill down my spine. I gasped for breath.

“Bloody Mary”

“Bloody Mary”

I blew off the candle and the thought popped into my mind. There was no source of air in the bathroom. Why did the candle’s flame flicker? Everything went silent. I could hear the drop of water splashing probably from the leaking tap in the bucket. I felt a mild blow of wind and I went numb. I could not move, I could not speak up. I was petrified beyond imagination. It felt like someone was present behind my back but I had no courage to look back. The only thing I hoped now was the kids to open the door. I felt the drops of sweat forming on my forehead and my hands were cold.

“Wham!” the kids shouted the moment they switched on the light and opened the door simultaneously. Shocked, my feet were swept off the floor. I could not see in the mirror.

“See there is no Bloody Mary you fool,” Suzy shouted making fun of me. I could hear the laughter of other kids. They picked me up and pushed my face in front of the mirror. “See there is no one. There is no Bloody Mary. You are just a scared rat.” I had my eyes closed all the time. After what I had felt I did not want to look in that mirror.

“Come let’s play something now,” Suzy said and they left me.

I was still shaking when I heard their screams. I opened my eyes and saw that their bodies had been pulled to the ceiling. I could only whimper silently as my voice could not find its way out of my throat. I saw their bodies pressed tightly against the ceiling. Soon, I heard cracking of bones which was followed by more and the screams followed. Something was pressing them harder against the wall. Their bones were snapping. Something was killing them.

I looked in the mirror and saw my reflection. There was no ghost and everything seemed normal. I walked towards the mirror and what I saw left me scared stiff.

My reflection smiled, I didn’t.



This post is a part of Write Over the Weekend, an initiative for Indian Bloggers by BlogAdda.

WOW prompt of the week - My reflection smiled, I didn't
Previous
Next Post »

16 comments

Write comments
Kiran Acharya
AUTHOR
December 13, 2014 at 10:54 AM delete

Spooky story! Well-written.

Reply
avatar
Shilpa Gupte
AUTHOR
December 13, 2014 at 4:17 PM delete

OMG!!!! ANMOL, THAT WAS SCARY!!!
I saw the movie Paranormal Activity, where in a scene, a girl is doing something similar...in front of the mirror. So, when I began reading your story, that scene came to my mind. But, later, as the story progressed and moved towards the climax, I forgot that movie completely! You have written it so well! And, now I know, that if I am unable to sleep tonight whom should I be blaming!! :-)

Reply
avatar
Anmol Rawat
AUTHOR
December 14, 2014 at 1:49 AM delete

Well you pointed in the right direction. I have also seen PA and this Bloody Mary came from there only. That particular portion was creepy and I thought of making a story based on that.

Now that is such a big compliment Shilpa. I feel so glad that you felt that way. I'm all years after such a big compliment. Blame me as much as you want :D

Reply
avatar
Anmol Rawat
AUTHOR
December 14, 2014 at 12:38 PM delete

I will ;)
and BTW *I'm all ears not years :p

Reply
avatar
December 14, 2014 at 3:51 PM delete

Hehe. I thought it was a real account until I read the ending. Well done.

Reply
avatar
Sophie Bowns
AUTHOR
December 14, 2014 at 5:35 PM delete

Wow, you did a great job of setting the scene it was really creepy!
-Like Francene, I thought it was real!

Reply
avatar
December 14, 2014 at 11:44 PM delete

Whoaaa.. That was brilliant !!

Reply
avatar
Anita
AUTHOR
December 15, 2014 at 1:03 AM delete

Chilling story, Anmol!
Wonderfully expressed :)
Even I attempted WOW this week, but I guess I interpreted the prompt in a different way!

Reply
avatar
Preetha Datta
AUTHOR
December 23, 2014 at 3:56 PM delete

Pretty good.
Found your blog on BlogAdda, btw :)
See mine too!
preethadatta.blogspot.in

Reply
avatar
Anmol Rawat
AUTHOR
January 15, 2015 at 2:27 PM delete

I believe many people can relate to it as this is a popular legend and so many must have tried it themselves :D

Reply
avatar
Anmol Rawat
AUTHOR
January 15, 2015 at 2:27 PM delete

Thank you Sophie :) Means a lot.

Reply
avatar
Anmol Rawat
AUTHOR
January 15, 2015 at 2:28 PM delete

Thank you Anita :) Will read your post soon.

Reply
avatar

Shower the Love if you Liked the Post :) ConversionConversion EmoticonEmoticon