.

Paperback VS eBook

Paperback VS eBook

I used to read a lot of e-books. I had a Nokia 6303 which had a 2.2 inch screen. Can you believe it? Even I can’t believe it now. That was so tiny and I read so many Sparks, entire twilight series, Brown and so much more on that screen. First of all, I did not have enough money to buy books back then. That phone was all I had with me initially. But I loved reading.

The flare for reading began in the school time. There was a library in my school that had some children fictions like - The Famous Five, Fearstreet, Spooksville, The Secret Sever, Goosebumps, and Hardy Boys etc. I read them all. Sad that there was no library near my home that accommodated such fictions and I was glad when I was gifted that phone.

Before I actually move over to my choice, I will ask you to buy books; ebook or paperback or hardcover. If you can afford, buy them and support the authors. The immortals of Meluha was the first book I bought and since then, I have not stopped buying.

Now, I have a decent collection of paperbacks and hardcover. That is because I love to read physical books. The mere idea of holding a new book and turning its pages is enthralling to me. Gradually, I have turned into a bibliophile. I can’t see how a collection of 100 books on your tablets can stand as appealing as to having those 100 books kept in a shelf right in front of you.

Other than that, I feel headache reading e books now. I mean, you’re sitting on your screens all day long and if I’m asked to read even books on a led lit screen, the answer is - NO. Now that opinion may vary from person to person.

I don’t see how one can reach any conclusion over this topic. I have my reasons for reading paperbacks. Other people will have their reasons for reading ebooks. Both of the things are going to stay for long because different people have different likings and that’s not going to change anytime soon.

But I do know one thing that majority of ebook readers are downloading through internet and not purchasing them. The era of E-books has increased the piracy and it is more convenient as well. That’s not good especially for the emerging Indian authors. Not everyone is getting paid like Amish Tripathi or Chetan Bhagat or Ravinder singh and thus e-books are definitely posing a threat.

Some may say that even paperbacks are pirated through Xerox but then the numbers are less.



IndiSpire 44: Paperback VS eBook



Previous
Next Post »

8 comments

Write comments
December 20, 2014 at 1:24 AM delete

Paperback, paperback and paperback..for me always... :-D even hardcover would be nicer...

Reply
avatar
December 20, 2014 at 4:15 PM delete

I love paperbacks. However the drawbacks are the weight and awkwardness of holding the book, and the cost comparison between that and an e-book. I've got all my own novels right in front of me and I am filled with pride each time I look at them. The same feeling doesn't come from an e-book.

Reply
avatar
Sophie Bowns
AUTHOR
December 20, 2014 at 4:54 PM delete

Hmmm....I think I prefer reading actual novels over ebooks.
I'd like to hold a book in my hand, rather than a kindle.

Reply
avatar
AmyG
AUTHOR
December 20, 2014 at 7:27 PM delete

I read hardbacks or paperbacks, whichever I can get my hands on! I don't read from a screen, except when I'm writing and working on my blog. I think it's tough on the eyes, and I just like the feel of a "real" book in my hands--also, I'm a "footprint leaver" and I like to make notes in the margins of my books, underline favorite passages, etc. And go back and read them again! Definitely REAL books for me!

Reply
avatar
Anmol Rawat
AUTHOR
December 27, 2014 at 2:29 PM delete

He He :D I second you ;)

Reply
avatar
Anmol Rawat
AUTHOR
December 27, 2014 at 2:29 PM delete

Exactly Francene :) That pride and that feeling; it's worth the weight of the books :D

Reply
avatar
Anmol Rawat
AUTHOR
December 27, 2014 at 2:30 PM delete

Absolutely! It's a whole different feeling while reading an actual book.

Reply
avatar
Anmol Rawat
AUTHOR
December 27, 2014 at 2:31 PM delete

I also think that. Why put so much strain on your eyes when you can read real books?
I'm not a foot print leaver. You will find my books as new as unopened even when I have read them :D

Reply
avatar

Shower the Love if you Liked the Post :) ConversionConversion EmoticonEmoticon