.

And Then There Were None (Agatha Christie) - Review

And Then There Were None - Review

And Then There Were None - Rating

Author:  Agatha Christie
Publisher: HarperCollins
Publication Year: 2007 (first published in 1939)
ISBN: 9780007282319
Pages: Paperback, 316 pages



Ten strangers are lured into a mansion built upon an inhabited island. Each one of them has a dark secret that is revealed upon a gramophone record once they are inside the house. It leaves everyone baffled and each one of them comes up with their story to cover up what was announced in the record.

Then, the people are killed off one by one. Who is behind the killing is not known to anybody inside and this creates a situation of panic. Is it the person who invited them? Is it someone from the ten people inside the mansion? What is the purpose behind the killings? Hold your breath as you read this gripping crime-mystery-thriller by Agatha Christie till she reveals a shocking climax.


Now that is some blurb right? I would like to add that And Then There Were None is the first book that I have read from Agatha Christie. I know she is quite famous among the crime readers but since I have not read much from the crime genre, I never thought of picking her up till I saw the book in a list that comprised of best mind twisting crime reads. Now that is a genre I love while watching movies and thus I decided to pick it up. I’m glad I did.

Too many names were thrown in the beginning of And Then There Were None. But I loved that buildup. It was difficult to remember the names but I knew I will get acquainted well as the story progress. Ten strangers move on an uninhabited island only to find out that the one who invited them all is not even present himself. The poem that was mentioned in the beginning of the book arrives and then, they are killed one by one as mentioned in the poem.

First of all, And Then There Were None was a fast paced thriller; the way I like it. There were no stretchy moments and it was gripping right from the start till the end. The book made me curious the moment I had finished the first chapter. As the story progressed, it became a nail biting suspense thriller and my mind was constantly trying to unfold the mystery. I threw too many guesses but even when the last chapter finished, there was no explanation.

Of course, there is a prologue after the book finishes but you’ll still have to wait for the last few pages to find out who the killer was and what the motive was.

Trust me when I say that the climax of And Then There Were None was truly shocking. Undoubtedly, it will leave you astonished. You might have seen a lot of movies inspired with the theme or climax but remember that this book was released back in 1939. To think of such a plot and such a mind twisting climax at that time is certainly remarkable.

And Then There Were None is a perfect whodunit mystery that will keep you on the edge of your seat till the climax. A must read for all the readers.

Ten little Soldiers went out to dine;
One choked his little self and then there were nine.

Nine little Soldiers sat up very late;
One overslept himself and then there were eight.

Eight little Soldiers travelling in Devon;
One said he'd stay there and then there were seven.

Seven little Soldiers chopping up sticks;
One chopped himself in halves and then there were six.

Six little Soldiers playing with a hive;
A bumblebee stung one and then there were five.

Five little Soldiers going in for law;
One got in Chancery and then there were four.

Four little Soldiers going out to sea;
A red herring swallowed one and then there were three.

Three little Soldiers walking in the Zoo;
A big bear hugged one and then there were two.

Two little Soldiers sitting in the sun;
One got frizzled up and then there was one.

One little Indian boy left all alone;
He went and hanged himself and then there were none.

Previous
Next Post »

4 comments

Write comments
February 1, 2015 at 11:28 PM delete

Mmmm. I thought I'd seen the movie, but it doesn't sound like the plot you've described. You make it sound gripping, and as you say, written so long ago, it has stayed current with modern thrillers. I'd better read it.

Reply
avatar
Donna L. Ward
AUTHOR
February 1, 2015 at 11:48 PM delete

Thank you for this review on Agatha Christi's book - I have purchased a couple and had them for years - but haven't read them - I started following great sci-fi and fantasy fun books -

Reply
avatar
Anmol Rawat
AUTHOR
February 2, 2015 at 6:20 PM delete

Yeah. If you like crime thrillers with mind twisting mysteries, you must :)

Reply
avatar
Anmol Rawat
AUTHOR
February 2, 2015 at 6:20 PM delete

Oh. If you have this is possession, do read :)

Reply
avatar

Shower the Love if you Liked the Post :) ConversionConversion EmoticonEmoticon