.

Revival (Stephen King) - Review

Revival (Stephen King) - Review

Revival (Stephen King) - Rating

Author:  Stephen King
Publisher: Hodder & Stoughton
Publication Year: 2014
ISBN: 9781444789171
Pages: Hardcover, 473 pages



Revival begins in a small New England town in the 60s. There is a new minister in the town - Charles Jacobs. He along with his beautiful wife transforms the local church with a bit modern approach. Jamie Morton begins getting close with Mr. Jacobs as if they were always meant to be. Jacob’s fascination with electricity and the little experiment that he conducts based on the natural power source fascinates Jamie.

Everything is going fine till a tragedy strikes the Jacobs family and turns him from a preacher of god to someone who banishes all the beliefs. Jacobs then leaves the town.

The story takes a leap to the mid-thirties of Jamie when he is struggling with his inner demons and living a nomadic life. He is a drug addict now wasting his life. This is when he meets Reverend Jacobs again during a stage performance where Jacobs create dazzling portraits in lightning for interested people. Their bond revives again but also leads to certain truths that Jamie never knew.

The story goes through several revelations and spans five decades before we get to the creepy and terrifying conclusion that will force to you to think about your beliefs.



I had pre-ordered Revival long back because after reading The Shining and Doctor Sleep, I was sure to read all the upcoming horror books by him. The book was released late in India and it was good because reading the reviews, I was even more excited to read it. People were calling it a scary or bone chilling experience and what not. This gave way to expectations.

Expectations were clearly ruined. While I was reading the book, I kept waiting for the scares or the creeps but they never came. Of course until the climax. So the first thing that I would like to say is that this is not a scary novel. It hardly even crawls into the horror category. At best, Revival is a creepy thriller drama from the legendary Stephen King.

Now, coming to my reading experience, the plot of Revival was good. I was interested and intrigued the moment I began reading. It was quite different and gave way to a whole lot of possibilities. In all its first section. I liked it but then it went downhill. The reason for me was too much of music stuff that I’m not fond of reading in this detail. The wasted life of Jamie dragged very much. So many characters came in and left the story. The story dragged and there was too much of unimportant information.

It picked up again later (may be in the second last section) and then I waited and waited for the final revelation curiously. I know that the revelation might not go down everybody’s throat well but I felt that it was creepy. Although, I’m not saying that I was completely satisfied with it but that was the only moment I felt the creepiness.

Overall, Revival was not a great book and clearly misses the expectations but it was a good read. I’m not saying that because I’m a diehard fan, but because the premise was good. The writing was good as I have always said with Stephen King in picture. The title revival holds many meanings which you will learn while reading the book. Some of it is also thought provoking. It might poke at your beliefs at many places. Even when it ends, it will leave you with some thoughts that you might not want to sleep with.

Last but not the least, I will say again that Revival is not a scary book and if you are looking in that direction, you might want to skip it. But yes, it can be creepy or disturbing depending from person to person.


People say that where there’s life, there’s hope, and I have no quarrel with that, but I also believe the reverse.
There is hope, therefore I live.
The three true ages of man are youth, middle age, and how the fuck did I get old so soon?
Well, you know what they say, Jamie: The road to hell is paved with good intentions.
People always want a reason for the bad things in life. Sometimes there ain’t one.

 
Previous
Next Post »

4 comments

Write comments
January 15, 2015 at 3:30 PM delete

That's the problem with people writing spoilers in their review. You expected something that didn't happen until the end. Your frank review impressed me.

Reply
avatar
Sophie Bowns
AUTHOR
January 15, 2015 at 9:34 PM delete

I'd love to read more Stephen King novels. I've read : IT, The Shining, and The Green Mile. I really liked your review, as Francene said, it didn't give too much away!

Reply
avatar
Anmol Rawat
AUTHOR
January 16, 2015 at 3:43 PM delete

Thank you Francene :) This is why I skip reading reviews most of the times.

Reply
avatar
Anmol Rawat
AUTHOR
January 16, 2015 at 3:44 PM delete

I have read only three of his books so far: The Shining, Doctor Sleep and The Revival. I do want to read IT as I've heard it's a cult classic.

Reply
avatar

Shower the Love if you Liked the Post :) ConversionConversion EmoticonEmoticon