.

The Year I Met You (Cecelia Ahern) - Review

The Year I Met You - Review

The Year I Met You - Rating

Author:  Cecelia Ahern
Publisher: HarperCollins Publishers
Publication Year: 2014
ISBN: 9780008108229
Pages: Paperback, 328 pages



The Year I Met You revolves around the life of Jasmine who is fond of just two things in her life: her sister Heather and her work. She is fired from her job and there begins her dilemma because she is left with nothing to do.

Matt lives across the street. He lives most of his nights on booze and has been constantly hated by Jasmine all her life.

On a new year’s eve, their paths collide. With plenty of time on hands, an unlikely friendship starts blooming and the hatred gradually dissolves.


I’m not crazy about Cecelia Ahern as I have read just two of her books - P.S. I Love You and The Gift out of which I liked the latter more. When I saw a new book on the online shelves, I was curious to read it partially because I loved the title - The Year I Met You.

First of all, it is not a cheesy romantic book and thankfully I never expected it to be. Most of the people I come across try to find P.S. I Love You in all her books. So if you want that, this is not it. The Year I Met You is a story of metamorphosis where two characters change over the course of a year. Now, I know that the blurb about the book hints that it’s a love story between Jasmine and Matt but it’s not.

Said that, I would like to begin with the fact that I did not like the book. You can find some great reviews that praise the book but this is my opinion and I have my reasons.

The Year I Met You is written (for the most of it) in second person. It was refreshing for me and the beginning was interesting. After then, the book hits a flat chord. It simply does not move. You will feel like you’re stuck in the middle of a story which fails to proceed. After reading half and a bit more, the story had not progressed much and I felt like leaving it in the middle.

But I hardly leave books in the middle and moreover, I wanted to know what happens next. Frankly I kept waiting for something big to happen and it never did even when it climaxed. However, the book becomes much more likeable in the second half. This is the reason why I was able to finish.

I sort of missed the Cecelia Ahern effect in The Year I Met You. This was a plain story with nothing much happening. It might be a little enlightening or inspiring at the end but the plot development was too slow that most of the readers will leave mid-way. I particularly liked some conversations which made me chuckle and provided to be interesting parts in the otherwise dull book.

I did not hate it all the way down to the core because of the reasons I have mentioned above. But I won’t suggest The Year I Met You to anybody who is reading Cecelia Ahern for the first time. Read only if you like her writing style and if you have nothing better to read in your hands.

I now know that we never truly stop, our journey is never complete, because we will continue to flourish - just as when the caterpillar thought the world was over, it became a butterfly.
Miracles only grow where you plant them.
If you want to do something, you have to do it now. If you want to say something, you have to say it now. And more importantly, you have to do it yourself.

Previous
Next Post »

9 comments

Write comments
Anita
AUTHOR
January 29, 2015 at 11:53 AM delete

I love the selection of quotes you have shared! How true :)
Nice book-review, Anmol!

Reply
avatar
January 29, 2015 at 3:35 PM delete

Your frank appraisal of the book is courageous. I often wonder whether to state what I really feel because I know how hard it is for the author to write. However, you gave no offense when you stated your opinion. Well done.

Reply
avatar
Ashley
AUTHOR
January 29, 2015 at 7:14 PM delete

Love your honesty! Unlike you, once a book drags out I have every intention of finishing it but I usually don't! Good to know it's not a love story, tho I do love love stories haha

Reply
avatar
AmyG
AUTHOR
January 29, 2015 at 7:45 PM delete

Forgive me if this is a duplicate comment, but I'm having a bit of issues with Wordpress. I think you've written an honest and thorough book review, and if anybody is thinking of reading this book, your post will be able to help them to that decision! Well done!

Reply
avatar
Anmol Rawat
AUTHOR
January 30, 2015 at 1:15 PM delete

Thank you Francene. Yes, that's the issue. The authors spend so much of their time in writing and that's why I try to be gentle even when I don't like a book. Also, it's my personal opinion and opinions may vary from person to person. :)

Reply
avatar
Anmol Rawat
AUTHOR
January 30, 2015 at 1:19 PM delete

He He. I have done that only a couple of times otherwise I do finish what I start :D
Thank you :)

Reply
avatar
Anmol Rawat
AUTHOR
January 30, 2015 at 1:29 PM delete

Nop it's not :D
Thank you Amy :)

Reply
avatar
Nikita Johri
AUTHOR
January 31, 2015 at 11:08 AM delete

I liked PS I love you by Cecelia but then didnt quite like her book, A Place called Here so I have had a kind of like-not like relationship with her books which has continued with her other books too...I was thinking of trying this book but will wait now..Loved your review Anmol and the quotes you shared. :)

-Njkinny @Njkinny's World of Books & Stuff

Reply
avatar

Shower the Love if you Liked the Post :) ConversionConversion EmoticonEmoticon