.

An Abundance of Katherines (John Green) - Review

An Abundance of Katherines (John Green) - Review

An Abundance of Katherines (John Green) - Rating

Author:  John Green
Publisher: Penguin Books Ltd
Publication Year: 2012 (First Published in 2006)
ISBN: 9780141346090
Pages: Paperback, 227 pages



An Abundance of Katherines revolves around a washed-up child prodigy Colin Singleton who happens to have been in relationship with only the girls named Katherine. To be exact, there have been 19 Katherines in his life and all of them dumped him for some or other reason. 

The nineteenth Katherine actually broke his heart and he decides to go on a road trip miles away from his home with his overweight friend Hassan. The anagram-happy Colin has a mission, a mission to prove The Theorem of Underlying Katherine Predictability. With this theorem, he hopes to predict the future of any relationship and help the Dumpees like him. 

On his road trip, he meets Lindsey and the books follows to portray reinvention of oneself through several situations Colin, Hassana and their newly found friend Lindsey come across. 


An Abundance of Katherines is a comic novel (which I came to know only after reading it.) The title was interesting and this is the reason why I picked this book (I would have picked anyways. It’s John Green. How can I miss any of his book?). The beginning itself left me a bit disappointed. “Another road trip?” is what I thought. After reading Paper Towns and finding it to be his weakest work among the three that I had read already (but still good enough), I was not expecting a road trip.

Thankfully the road trip did not last too long and the story actually happened outside of their car. I must say that you can find stark similarities between the characters of An Abundance of Katherines, Paper Towns and Looking for Alaska. Especially when it comes to the protagonists. Some minor changes and a new story is what makes book different. It is style you can say but then, you find things a bit repetitive.

Well, that’s not a really big issue with me (when compared to others) but somehow, I felt the book was not engaging enough. For the first half, I was just getting irritated with Colin, his habits of anagramming, his theorem and all the mathematics. Things really did not improve much in the next half as well; except for the chapters near the climax.

I found An Abundance of Katherines to be funny and witty at certain places. I mean, I was definitely smiling at some phrases and even chuckling but it still could not connect to me much. The book is about reinventing yourself and when that part strikes, I was moved but it happen to fall near the climax only.

An Abundance of Katherines is a different book altogether. I’m not sure if you can find much similar opinions on this particular book. People might love it or hate it. I just could not hate it or love it completely. It’s like I’m stuck in the middle. Of course, I found the book to be boring at many places but certain things that John Green writes and the style with which he writes stops you from hating the book altogether.

Still I can fairly say that this is the weakest book of all. But no, it won’t stop me from reading the future books by John Green. Read it if you are looking for something different and if you are not phobic to the mathematics. Also, the book has footnotes on many pages. Some are amusing, some can be skipped.


Books are the ultimate Dumpees; put them down and they’ll wait for you forever; pay attention to them and they always love you back.
You can never love someone as much as you miss them.
That's who you really like. The people you can think out loud in front of.
I don't think you can ever fill the empty space with the thing you lost.
How do you just stop being terrified of getting left behind and ending up by yourself forever and not meaning anything to the world?
The thing about chameleoning your way through life is that it gets to where nothing is real.
Do you know what your problem is? You can't live with the idea that someone might leave.
You don't remember what happened. What you remember becomes what happened.
What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable?
What matters to you defines your mattering.
 
Previous
Next Post »

4 comments

Write comments
Anonymous
AUTHOR
February 23, 2015 at 12:55 AM delete

Sounds like an interesting book! Thank you for this post. :)
Rachel from UltraBlogChallenge

Reply
avatar
Amy Bovaird
AUTHOR
February 23, 2015 at 1:43 AM delete

Hi Amnol,
I think I've read one or two of your reviews before. Thank you for sharing this book. I liked that you broke it down and said specifically why you chose it and what you did and didn't like about it. The title was unusual. If you are looking for a book to review, mine just came out this past October. It's called Mobility Matters: Stepping Out in Faith. You can check it out on Amazon. It's humorous. If you contact me, I can furnish you with an ebook. Thank you and have a great day!
Amy Bovaird

Reply
avatar
Anmol Rawat
AUTHOR
March 20, 2015 at 10:35 PM delete

Thank you Amy :)
Oh I will check it out soon. All the best for your book :)

Reply
avatar

Shower the Love if you Liked the Post :) ConversionConversion EmoticonEmoticon