.

A: Abandoned

A: Abandoned

I heard him talk to me one day. He wanted to see me grow up to be a doctor. I had pledged right then that I will stand up to his expectations. How badly had I wanted to grow up and walk with my tiny feet holding his pinky finger? I often found him trying to hear me by keeping his ear on my mother’s belly. Almost every night. How badly had I wanted to speak right then. “Dad, I’m here and I’m fine. I will soon be in your arms and you will hug me to you.

My mother. She even gave up on her smoking habits. I thought she cared for me so much. Every day, she used to caress her belly and I could feel the warmth of her touch. She did not even realize, but that made me feel safe. I incidentally kicked her one day and almost fell so sorry for my mistake. However, I heard her giggle. Even my dad joined her and it felt like they were excited for some reason. I was glad that I made them happy. Since then, I did that occasionally and what followed was blissful.

I was waiting restlessly for the day I will actually be in their arms and they will fight with each other to hold me. Today was the day. It disheartened me that my birth meant so much of pain to her. However, I had no choice.

Finally, after much effort, I was breathing. Breathing in the world that was new for me. However, I did not find that laughter that had echoed so much in my ears for nine months. I could not understand what was happening.

“It’s a girl.” It was all I could hear from my dad.

I had so many dreams. Dreams that lay shattered now. My mom and dad, who so dearly loved me until I was born are nowhere around. I am here all alone by myself crying as if someone will hear me and embrace me with affection. 


Linking this post with A to Z Challenge.

Previous
Next Post »

26 comments

Write comments
shailajav
AUTHOR
April 1, 2015 at 11:02 PM delete

Oh what a very tragic tale. I kind of knew it was coming, the end, but still very gut-wrenching :(

*Shailaja/Alternate Angles/A-Z*

Reply
avatar
Anmol Rawat
AUTHOR
April 1, 2015 at 11:49 PM delete

It's clear by the title :) It's sad but it happens so often. I'm glad that the thought process is changing gradually and I hope such cases will vanish into thin air soon.

Reply
avatar
April 2, 2015 at 12:24 AM delete

A sad story! Happiness subside when they know the new born is a girl. Tragic and they should have been happy!



http://www.thesolitarywriter.com/2015/04/apology.html

Reply
avatar
April 2, 2015 at 12:27 AM delete

Hmmm...a true tale in our country. Very well written.

P.S: King of tragedies, please write happy endings. :D :D

Reply
avatar
Stephen Tremp
AUTHOR
April 2, 2015 at 3:39 AM delete

Well done! That's a piece of flash fiction worth reading. Tragic, but true. And thanks for participating in A to Z!

Reply
avatar
Marie
AUTHOR
April 2, 2015 at 4:29 AM delete

This is beautiful and heart breaking. Thanks for sharing.

Visiting from the A to Z challenge.
www.marie-everydaymiracle.blogspot.com

Reply
avatar
April 2, 2015 at 8:40 AM delete

This is why our nation can never go ahead. Stereotypical idiots.
This was a beautiful heart breaking tale. Loved it...

Reply
avatar
April 2, 2015 at 9:49 AM delete

Oh god! How tragic! Very well composed. Kudos :) look forward to all your stories :) ps - the picture is beautiful... simply beautiful! Cheers :)

Reply
avatar
Simran
AUTHOR
April 2, 2015 at 11:35 AM delete

That's quiet tragic and painful but it happens :(
Very well written.

Reply
avatar
Anmol Rawat
AUTHOR
April 2, 2015 at 10:26 PM delete

Yes. I hate the fact that it is still happening. Daughters are beautiful. They make your life beautiful. I would love to have my own when the time comes :)

Reply
avatar
Anmol Rawat
AUTHOR
April 2, 2015 at 10:28 PM delete

Thank you Preethi :)

I don't know if I will be able to write anything happy for this A to Z challenge :)

Reply
avatar
Anmol Rawat
AUTHOR
April 2, 2015 at 10:31 PM delete

Thank you for reading Marie :) Yes it is and to know that it happens in real!

Reply
avatar
Anmol Rawat
AUTHOR
April 2, 2015 at 10:33 PM delete

I agree with you Lancelot.
Thank you for reading and appreciating :)

Reply
avatar
Aathira
AUTHOR
April 2, 2015 at 11:09 PM delete

Why you do this, Anmol :( Such people should be denied the right to be parents. Hate them.

Reply
avatar
Anmol Rawat
AUTHOR
April 3, 2015 at 10:31 AM delete

Thank you so much Archana and welcome to my blog :)

Reply
avatar
Anmol Rawat
AUTHOR
April 3, 2015 at 10:32 AM delete

Yeah. Wonder when all will be educated enough to put a stop to it.
Thank you Simran :)

Reply
avatar
Anmol Rawat
AUTHOR
April 3, 2015 at 10:35 AM delete

Hmm yeah a bitter truth.

Reply
avatar
Anmol Rawat
AUTHOR
April 3, 2015 at 10:35 AM delete

Am not doing it :) Am just describing what happens.
I second you :)

Reply
avatar
rogershipp
AUTHOR
April 3, 2015 at 7:47 PM delete

A powerfully... dreadfully... moving piece. Well done. https://rogershipp.wordpress.com/

Reply
avatar
Soumya
AUTHOR
April 9, 2015 at 12:48 PM delete

This breaks my heart. :(

Reply
avatar
Priti Sarwade
AUTHOR
April 9, 2015 at 8:19 PM delete

amazingly written! all the stories of foeticide and 'abandoning' baby girls in dustbins, roadside.. etc. flashed in my mind when began reading it.. *goosebumps!

Reply
avatar
Anmol Rawat
AUTHOR
April 10, 2015 at 11:22 PM delete

Thank you Priti :)
I wonder when all those news flashes will stop existing.

Reply
avatar

Shower the Love if you Liked the Post :) ConversionConversion EmoticonEmoticon