.

E: Embarrassed

E: Embarrassed - A to Z Challenge

It was a lavish party. As lavish as I had read in The Great Gatsby. I had gotten used to it. Marrying a business tycoon had some privileges after all. Don’t get me wrong. I’m not a money seeking ‘whatever-adjective-you-want-to-add’. It was my parent’s decision. They had known his family for long and thought it would be good to tie knots and extend their loyalties towards each other. I did not have a boyfriend whom I would have loved to marry instead. Therefore, I had willfully agreed with their choice myself.

I had no complaints from the marriage. It was unlike those romance fantasies, but it was good. However, I hated attending the parties. Not because I was an introvert or a boring person, but because he made me wear those skimpy party gowns and dresses. I hated wearing those revealing outfits and thus I had asked him for the second time to allow me choose something decent. The answer again was a stern look. According to him, this was how I was supposed to be dressed because he wanted to show everybody that he had a beautiful wife.

The statement had hurt me more than I could imagine. Apparently, a sheer piece of clothing was what made me beautiful; no matter how embarrassed it made me feel.


Linking this post with A to Z Challenge.

Previous
Next Post »

26 comments

Write comments
Vinitha
AUTHOR
April 6, 2015 at 6:02 AM delete

Been enjoying your A2Z posts!

Reply
avatar
Shonda
AUTHOR
April 6, 2015 at 7:23 AM delete

Enjoying your post immensely. This particular post reminding me of a women's group I belonged a few years back. This very scenario had her in tears because her husband wanting her to dress seductively in public. Much to my dismay, the other women were supporting her husbands decision. I never returned to the group needless to say.

Reply
avatar
Elisabeth
AUTHOR
April 6, 2015 at 8:21 AM delete

I love this. I'm lucky to be married to a man who loves me for me, not what I wear... but I have been in the situation Shonda mentions... where a woman feels forced to wear something to please her husband but it offends her sensibilities. I don't see it any different than a woman being forced to wear a hijab if it is not her choice but her husbands...

Reply
avatar
i b arora
AUTHOR
April 6, 2015 at 8:58 AM delete

we all love to show off, it hurts but others

Reply
avatar
Geetika Gupta
AUTHOR
April 6, 2015 at 8:49 PM delete

Oooo.. what an interesting story and the reality you have put in into it..!!

Reply
avatar
April 6, 2015 at 10:24 PM delete

Beauty is not defined by the clothes one wears, it comes from within . Blimey, that was deep - not like me at all!

Reply
avatar
Kokila Gupta
AUTHOR
April 7, 2015 at 12:38 AM delete

Nice piece .. of writing.

Reply
avatar
Sarah Wathen
AUTHOR
April 7, 2015 at 5:58 AM delete

Really enjoying this, thanks! I'll be back tomorrow :)

Reply
avatar
Sonia Lal
AUTHOR
April 7, 2015 at 6:46 AM delete

How terrible for her! That's not a nice husband.

Reply
avatar
Cathy Thorsen
AUTHOR
April 7, 2015 at 7:50 AM delete

I loved the way you shined a light on what it feels like to be treated in this way. Thank you.

Reply
avatar
R Miglani
AUTHOR
April 8, 2015 at 12:01 PM delete

A-Z , till E you have made me your Fan !

Reply
avatar
April 9, 2015 at 2:03 AM delete

Well.. yes there are some stupid people like him. Well written Anmol.

Reply
avatar
Soumya
AUTHOR
April 9, 2015 at 12:39 PM delete

Such men should be killed. I see so many men in Bangalore who marry women from the villages and bring them here. Then they are forced to wear clothes that they clearly are uncomfortable wearing. My heart goes out to such women.

Reply
avatar
Anmol Rawat
AUTHOR
April 10, 2015 at 11:32 PM delete

It hurts that this is not a fiction but something that happens with so many girls around the world :(
Thanks for dropping by :)

Reply
avatar
Anmol Rawat
AUTHOR
April 10, 2015 at 11:33 PM delete

Every girl deserves to be 'lucky' :) They deserve it.
Yes, I have read about some of the similar situations and thus decided to write about it. Thanks for dropping by :)

Reply
avatar
Anmol Rawat
AUTHOR
April 10, 2015 at 11:41 PM delete

Could not understand your comment fully.

Reply
avatar
Anmol Rawat
AUTHOR
April 10, 2015 at 11:43 PM delete

Yes, he's not. She deserves better :)

Reply
avatar
Anmol Rawat
AUTHOR
April 10, 2015 at 11:44 PM delete

Wow, that's a huge compliment. Thank you :)

Reply
avatar
Anmol Rawat
AUTHOR
April 10, 2015 at 11:45 PM delete

Thank you Jyotsna :) Yes there are. I've read about such men.

Reply
avatar
Anmol Rawat
AUTHOR
April 10, 2015 at 11:46 PM delete

Exactly Soumya. I know and have read about some of such cases over the web.

Reply
avatar

Shower the Love if you Liked the Post :) ConversionConversion EmoticonEmoticon