.

G: Greedy

G: Greedy - A to Z Challenge

I was doing the dishes when he came running down the stairs. My brother. He was dressed neatly in his school dress and her shoes were as dirty as they always were every morning. He sat on the chair like a king and I served him his breakfast. My mother was busy packing his tiffin. He began eating right then and I bent down to clean his shoes. Mother said that I had to make them shiny every morning, otherwise he will be scolded at the school. I could not fathom the fact. Instead, it seemed funny to me, but how could I know? I had never been to school in my life.

I got up and went to the kitchen to pour the hot milk in his cup. My mother was done packing his tiffin and was now managing his books according to his timetable. I came out and gave him the milk. He was gulping it down when he saw me looking at him. He stopped and bent his neck to look at the mother who had her back towards us. He gave me his cup and gestured me to drink. I denied. He persisted. I took down a gulp when the mother turned back.

“How dare you drink his milk,” she shouted racing towards me. The next thing I remember was a slap on my face. “Why are you so greedy? He needs that milk because he studies hard in the school. You don’t need it.”

A few tears streamed down my eyes. My brother looked apologetic but could not do anything.


Linking this post with A to Z Challenge.

Previous
Next Post »

8 comments

Write comments
April 9, 2015 at 9:54 PM delete

It's so touching and very well written. Sadly, it happens in many households.

Reply
avatar
i b arora
AUTHOR
April 9, 2015 at 10:38 PM delete

sadly true in many Indian households

Reply
avatar
Geetika Gupta
AUTHOR
April 9, 2015 at 10:38 PM delete

It's truly heart touching..! and is a common story with so many girls..
Well written Anmol.

Reply
avatar
Amrita Sabat
AUTHOR
April 9, 2015 at 11:00 PM delete

Very touching post indeed Anmol. Girls often have 2 bear the brunt.

& nw some gud news for U! Here is a gr8 chance for U to stay in Lord Jagannath's Paradise & Lap of Buddhism at awesome Toshali Resorts at Puri & Ratnagiri respectively of Odisha! Participate soon..last 3 dez only!
#UtkalaDibasaQuiz : Win 2N-3D Stay at Puri, Ratnagiri & lots more!

Reply
avatar
Anmol Rawat
AUTHOR
April 10, 2015 at 11:56 PM delete

Hmm yeah, especially the rural areas.

Reply
avatar
Anmol Rawat
AUTHOR
April 11, 2015 at 12:01 AM delete

Thank you Geetika. But I wonder when we will stop hearing about such things. Hope that bright future is near.

Reply
avatar
Anmol Rawat
AUTHOR
April 11, 2015 at 12:02 AM delete

Yup Amrita.
Ah! I'll check it soon. Kind of busy these days.

Reply
avatar

Shower the Love if you Liked the Post :) ConversionConversion EmoticonEmoticon