.

H: Humiliated

H: Humiliated - A to Z Challenge

I was in love. Madly in love with this guy whom I had just met through matchmaking. No, not the ones you do on the internet, but through some family friend. He seemed a lot like my dream prince I had always wanted to be with. The silly romantic novels can really do that to you. We met and I fell in love in the first meet itself. We dated for about 3 months before we agreed to tie the knots together. Our families were happy. In fact, they were just waiting for our approvals.

When I thought my life was going to be beautiful, it turned out to be the opposite. They had demanded a costly car in dowry. Being a middle class family, my parents were unable to buy one for them. I tried to persuade the guy. I had always thought he had loved me. However, he turned his back to me as well. I felt humiliated. All the promises we had made with each other were left shattered. I was broken. It felt like my love for him did not matter at all. I spent days crying at my fate.

I am an educated girl, and had just begun my career back then. Purchasing that car was not feasible for us back then. Today, I drive in the same car. I’m well settled and happy that the materialistic relation could not materialize. It took me about a year to get over him, but I feel glad I did.


Linking this post with A to Z Challenge.

Previous
Next Post »

16 comments

Write comments
Amy Bovaird
AUTHOR
April 10, 2015 at 10:47 AM delete

That must happen a lot with arranged marriages in India. I watched a movie called Water about the widows in India. Very good movie. I think it was banned, however inside the country. I think Humiliation does aptly describe that situation. It's funny but dowry is paid to women in the Gulf by women pay it to men in India. I wonder how the dowry came into being...thank you for this post, Amnol.
Amy

Reply
avatar
i b arora
AUTHOR
April 10, 2015 at 11:49 AM delete

you took a wise step, now she won't regret ever

Reply
avatar
Soumya
AUTHOR
April 10, 2015 at 5:02 PM delete

Why didn't she go to the police? She was saved. She should be happy and not humiliated.

Reply
avatar
Geetika Gupta
AUTHOR
April 10, 2015 at 8:38 PM delete

You brought an amazing story.. Considering the way things work out in our society, it does gets difficult for the girls to mouth their words.. Though she didn't go to the police, but then the bright part is she didn't succumb to that relation as well..

Cheers

Reply
avatar
K. Lee Banks
AUTHOR
April 10, 2015 at 9:19 PM delete

I have always wondered if arranged marriages always go through as planned ... or not!

Reply
avatar
Anmol Rawat
AUTHOR
April 11, 2015 at 12:07 AM delete

I wonder that too. It simply does not make sense to me. Isn't love and respect enough to be exchanged mutually while tying knots (marrying)?

Reply
avatar
Anmol Rawat
AUTHOR
April 11, 2015 at 12:10 AM delete

Because may be she did not find enough guts back then, or she was not aware, or she thought it might not be fruitful, or she still loved him enough to not go against him?

She's happy now :)

Reply
avatar
Anmol Rawat
AUTHOR
April 11, 2015 at 12:11 AM delete

Yes. She's happy and successful and will find a far better person in her life now. Isn't that what matters? :)

Reply
avatar
Anmol Rawat
AUTHOR
April 11, 2015 at 12:13 AM delete

Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't :)

Reply
avatar
Amrita Sabat
AUTHOR
April 12, 2015 at 1:32 AM delete

Very well written Anmol! Glad she turned away from him... :)

And just in case U r interested in travel! I’m hosting #UtkalaDibasaQuiz #Contest on my blog by which U can #win awesome resort stays, gifts and vouchers! Link is here:#UtkalaDibasaQuiz : Win 2N-3D Stay at Puri, Ratnagiri & lots more!

Surely participate 2 have the time of your life in the seaside pilgrimage Dhaam of Puri and the lap of Buddhism- Ratnagiri! All the best! Looking forward 2 Ur entry! :D

Reply
avatar
Anonymous
AUTHOR
April 15, 2015 at 9:32 PM delete

She left her daughter, filed case for dowry, courts didn't help. Had to pay up. The child has now grown up without her mother, Can't really blame anyone. Our systems are such. Pain!!!

Reply
avatar
Anonymous
AUTHOR
April 17, 2015 at 8:42 PM delete

Powerfully written. Commend you for sharing your emotions this way.

Reply
avatar
Anmol Rawat
AUTHOR
April 22, 2015 at 9:39 AM delete

Thank you Amrita :)
A bit busy these days. No time to participate in activities :/

Reply
avatar
Anmol Rawat
AUTHOR
April 22, 2015 at 9:40 AM delete

That's horrible to even think of but yes, a possibility with high probability.

Reply
avatar
Anmol Rawat
AUTHOR
April 22, 2015 at 9:41 AM delete

Thank you :) BTW it's a fiction.

Reply
avatar

Shower the Love if you Liked the Post :) ConversionConversion EmoticonEmoticon