.

I: Ignorant


I: Ignorant - A to Z Challenge

I did not know what he was trying to do. He was my uncle and I had always respected him. He was close to my father and he kept visiting us for work and other purposes. He used to bring me chocolates and I happily relished on them. He used to make me sit on his lap often. I did not mind because that’s what kids do right? They often sit on elders’ laps.

Of course, I did not know his caresses meant something else. How could I? I was ignorant.

The worst day of my life was when my parents left me alone with him for a whole day because they had to visit a holy ground and I was not well. I can’t really express how I felt that day. It was all normal until he started touching me in places that were supposed to carry my dignity. His hands were rough and it left me in pain. I tried to get free, but I was just nine years old. What could I have done?

All I remember clearly about that day is pain and blood. I survived. No, I did not tell my parents because I could not even understand what all had happened. To top it, he had threatened to take my life if I tried to tell anybody.

I never allowed my parents to leave me alone with him again and he did not get any other chance to molest me. But that day had left a deep enough scar that still makes me cringe, that still makes me cry.


Linking this post with A to Z Challenge.

Previous
Next Post »

14 comments

Write comments
Judy Yaron
AUTHOR
April 10, 2015 at 11:27 PM delete

It's the parents, who are ignorant, not the young girls, Anmol, and that is inexcusable. Thank you for sharing and creating awareness. HUGS <3

Reply
avatar
Anmol Rawat
AUTHOR
April 11, 2015 at 12:14 AM delete

Yes that is completely inexcusable and it's the parents who are ignorant :)
Thank you for dropping my and sharing love. :)

Reply
avatar
April 11, 2015 at 1:09 AM delete

That's so horrible! As they say, it's usually a relative or someone well known to the family who does this. Parents need to really be wary and protective.
You are welcome to check out my A-Z posts here: http://sundarivenkatraman.blogspot.in/

Reply
avatar
Alana
AUTHOR
April 11, 2015 at 3:52 AM delete

A good friend, growing up (in the 60's, when you didn't talk about these things), had been molested by her uncle. She confided me me when she saw her uncle showing interest in her younger sister. She didn't know what to do.I think I was 16 then. She didn't want to tell her father. I didn't know what to do, either. I suggested she write Dear Abby, a famous advice columnist in our country. I didn't even know these behaviors existed, I was so sheltered! I feel so guilty about my lack of knowledge in my friend's hour of need, even then. I mourn for your lost innocence. People who prey on children are, in my opinion, monsters.

Reply
avatar
Laurel Regan
AUTHOR
April 11, 2015 at 7:04 AM delete

How heartbreaking. Very sad that this situation is a reality for too many.

Reply
avatar
April 11, 2015 at 3:35 PM delete

It's really sad when parents thinks everything is all fine and also, those criminals use all kind of tricks and psychological fear in a child. Provoking post, Anmol.

Reply
avatar
April 14, 2015 at 12:40 AM delete

Yes, that's a horrible truth of many. And such incidents leave scars that do not really heal.

Reply
avatar
Kokila Gupta
AUTHOR
April 14, 2015 at 10:12 AM delete

Its terrible - the incident
what's horrible is - taking it as a normal thing as its happening from ages in almost every home by uncles/friends of parents/ cousins/ relatives......
' Patakha Guddi' is a truth ...as its in all strata of society .

Reply
avatar
Anmol Rawat
AUTHOR
April 22, 2015 at 9:45 AM delete

Yes it happens a lot. Parents should understand the trauma that their goes through due to that and they should support and defend her.
Thank you for reading :)

Reply
avatar
Anmol Rawat
AUTHOR
April 22, 2015 at 9:50 AM delete

I can understand the pain and humiliation she might have faced. It's really a sad affair and to think that it has been happening with so many girls makes you shiver. You did what you could do the best at that time.

It's not my own story. It's just a fiction based on what I have read about it through my circle.

Reply
avatar
Anmol Rawat
AUTHOR
April 22, 2015 at 9:54 AM delete

Ya :( It must hurt so much both physically and emotionally.

Reply
avatar
Anmol Rawat
AUTHOR
April 22, 2015 at 9:55 AM delete

Thank yo Vishal.
Yes you're right.

Reply
avatar
Anmol Rawat
AUTHOR
April 22, 2015 at 9:57 AM delete

I agree with you Jyotsna. Sad that parents do not help their child in the time of the need. May be they can spare them from at least the emotional trauma if they understand them and support them in coping up with it.

Reply
avatar
Anmol Rawat
AUTHOR
April 22, 2015 at 9:59 AM delete

'Highway' was the name of the movie.
Got inspired to write this from there only.
I agree with you. people take it to be normal affair, some out of fear and some out of shame.

Reply
avatar

Shower the Love if you Liked the Post :) ConversionConversion EmoticonEmoticon