.

Small Reasons can Fill Your Life with Happiness

I was walking towards the metro station after completing my shift at the office. There was a lot going on in my mind. The entire cluster ultimately leads to disappointment, sadness and agony. There are so many troubles in a life I had thought that no one can be happy anytime, at least not me. Work pressure, peer pressure, heartbreaks, ailments, frustrations and what not. At least I cannot be happy, I was sure.

Kid polishing shoes


The next day was not any different. The same old early to rise (although late to bed, trying to leave dark circles on my eyes) routine, the same sleepiness prevailing over you even under the shower and the same boring formal clothes. Nothing was ever new. It was the same old, dull and irritating routine. While climbing down the metro station nearby my office, I located a 7-8 years old boy sitting on a footpath with a small bag. I went closer to find that he had a black shoe brush in his hand.

A man stopped by in front of him, lifted his boot up and the kid began polishing his shoe. After about five minutes when he was done, he asked for ten bucks from the man. “10 is too much,” he replied. “The shoes don’t look good at all.” Saying that, he threw a five rupee coin at the child and moved ahead. It’s funny, he agreed to pay 10 bucks to buy a cigarette from a pan stall erect at a few feet distance.

The kid picked up that coin and put it inside his bag. I went ahead and the moment he saw me standing in front of him, he started brushing my shoes as well. I stopped him and asked me if he was new in the area (I had not seen him earlier). 

“My parents abandoned me because they did not have enough money,” he said. “I have been working for five months now. This place is cooler than where I used to sit and thus I decided to sit here from today.”

“How much do you earn?” I asked.

“Enough to feed myself and save a bit. I have saved 500 rupees in five months,” he said smiling.

“What will you do with your savings?”

“I will give it to my parents when I find them. They don’t have enough to feed themselves.”

I was left baffled by the words coming out from such a small kid. 

“Are you happy with what you are doing?”

“Yes, sir. At least I’m not begging for money. I’m earning it through my hard work. I’m happy with what I earn. I sleep with a full stomach; what else do I need?”

I took out my tiffin and gave it to him to eat. He was happy to find the homemade food. 


He taught me something that I could not teach myself - To live in the moment, to find happiness in what I have, to be content with whatever lies in my plate every day. It’s not that the happy moments were absent in my life earlier, it’s just that I did not weigh them with much importance. The sad affairs occupied me more than the happy moments. I realized that I had been wasting my life and the moments that I could have relished worrying for the lost causes. 

Very Little is Needed to Make a Happy Life

It’s not that sadness do not embrace me now, but I have started cherishing the happy moments more now. You never need the big occasions or big achievements to be happy. I find happiness sitting around with my parents at the dinner table and having food together. I find happiness talking and expressing my thoughts and feelings with my loved ones. I find happiness in hanging out with my friends. I find happiness in writing my heart out and sharing with the world, my vision my reveries. 

I find happiness in walking on my terrace with my favorite music plugged into my ears when the wind is blowing. I find happiness in the rain drops splashing over my face, rejuvenating my senses. I find happiness in shaking my feet when nobody is watching. I find happiness while singing in the shower.

I find happiness watching the birds flying high in the sky. I find happiness in people spreading the love. I find happiness in the happiness of others.

Being happy is not that difficult. All you need to do is look for it, find the small reasons that can be cherished and you will find that sadness even though present will stop troubling you often. 


#CelebrateLifeAtIvy by owning a dream home at Ivy estate, an 85 acre estate with 34 acres of greenery and open spaces. Join the 1600 happy families already living here. Check out this walkthrough video and decide for yourself.

Previous
Next Post »

10 comments

Write comments
April 26, 2015 at 6:20 PM delete

It's so touching and well written. Admire the kid, robbed of his childhood but life is filled with optimism and positive feeling.

Reply
avatar
Barbara Reese
AUTHOR
April 26, 2015 at 11:25 PM delete

Sometimes we forget what small things fill us with happiness.

Reply
avatar
April 26, 2015 at 11:39 PM delete

This shows us a great lesson, which we can learn alongside you. Loved the post, Anmol.

Reply
avatar
Laurel Regan
AUTHOR
April 27, 2015 at 2:31 AM delete

What a beautiful and true reflection on happiness! Thank you for sharing these important insights.

Reply
avatar
Alana
AUTHOR
April 27, 2015 at 3:05 AM delete

Years ago, when I was growing up (the 1950's), it was common to see shoeshine boys. I would wonder about them, and about the children who lived in the "Chinese Laundry" a block from our house. When I was having fun, those children were working. The laundry especially, was so hot. Yet, those children smiled, had fun, didn't question their lives. I sometimes don't look for the beauty in my life enough. This was a beautiful post; well done!

Reply
avatar
Anmol Rawat
AUTHOR
May 2, 2015 at 3:37 PM delete

Thank you so much Vishal :)
Life should be optimistic. There's so much to live for, so much to be happy :)

Reply
avatar
Anmol Rawat
AUTHOR
May 2, 2015 at 3:38 PM delete

Yes and these little reminders put us back on track :)

Reply
avatar
Anmol Rawat
AUTHOR
May 2, 2015 at 3:38 PM delete

Thank you Francene :) It indeed is a great lesson :)

Reply
avatar
Anmol Rawat
AUTHOR
May 2, 2015 at 3:38 PM delete

Thank you for reading and appreciating Laurel :)

Reply
avatar
Anmol Rawat
AUTHOR
May 2, 2015 at 3:53 PM delete

Thank you Alana :)
That is such a difficult life and people/children still smile. It is nothing less than a lesson for us who seek refuge in gloominess even at the smallest of the things.

Reply
avatar

Shower the Love if you Liked the Post :) ConversionConversion EmoticonEmoticon