.

To Kill a Mockingbird (Harper Lee) - Review

To Kill a Mockingbird (Harper Lee) - Review

To Kill a Mockingbird (Harper Lee) - Rating

Author:  Harper Lee
Publisher: Arrow Books Ltd
Publication Year: 2010 (First Published in 1960)
ISBN: 9780099549482
Pages: Paperback, 309 pages



“Shoot all the bluejays you want, if you can hit 'em, but remember it's a sin to kill a mockingbird.”

The book explores the thirties and the people’s irrational attitudes towards the colored race and class in the Deep South through the young eyes of Jean Louise Finch (Scout) and her older brother Jem who lives with their widowed father Atticus, a middle-aged layer. 

The kids are afraid of their neighbor Arthur “Boo” Radley who likes to stay inside the confines of his home.

Meanwhile, Atticus is appointed to defend Tom Robinson, black man who is accused of raping a young white woman, Mayella Ewell. He tries to defend him with is best efforts and the shocking truth is revealed. However, will the society who hates the black people understand? 

To kill a Mockingbird is an anti-racist historical drama that peeks into the mindset of people and explore the hypocrisy of the society. 


The last classic I read was ‘And Then There Were None’ but that should not count because it was a mystery thriller; something that I can read without a problem and something that can keep me interested. Picking up ‘To Kill a Mockingbird’ was kind of a risk because drama is a genre I escape from. However, it is such a popular book that I had to pick it up.

Coming to the review, I found ‘To Kill a Mockingbird’ to be a nice simple book that is innocent in the narrative as the narrator is a six-year-old girl who is not accustomed to the racism and other worldly affairs. I liked reading about her and her brother and their friend Dill. But soon, it became dull for me. I really wanted it to pick a pace that could suit my taste but sadly, it did not.

Then, the case commenced and the way Atticus defended Tom in the court was admirable. I really started liking it from here onwards. What happens next is what you can already guess but it keeps a crystal clear image of society in front of you.

To Kill a Mockingbird became dull again but I was satisfied with what the climax offered. It was a perfect climax for the book and I was happy at least.

Overall, I really think that the book is overhyped, maybe because of the theme and the unbiased portrayal of things back then. It may be possible that I am not accustomed to reading serious literature, but it lacked a decent plot for me. The theme was good but the plot was too small and too straight.

To Kill a Mockingbird is worth one read for sure but is it anything more than that? I believe it will depend from person to person. I know people who are a die-hard fan of the book. For me, it was just a good book with a simple narrative even while handling a serious issue.



You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view... Until you climb inside of his skin and walk around in it.
The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience.
People generally see what they look for, and hear what they listen for.
Until I feared I would lose it, I never loved to read. One does not love breathing.

Previous
Next Post »

6 comments

Write comments
Dr Tandy
AUTHOR
April 24, 2015 at 1:35 AM delete

Great article. I think your review is spot on.

Reply
avatar
Laurel Regan
AUTHOR
April 24, 2015 at 3:16 AM delete

I really liked this book, but I can see how it would depend on the individual reading it. Nice review - thanks for sharing!

Reply
avatar
April 24, 2015 at 8:00 PM delete

Thanks for writing about the book. Ill bookmark and read it since heard so much bout the book:)

Reply
avatar
Anmol Rawat
AUTHOR
May 2, 2015 at 3:33 PM delete

Good for you Laurel :) I know a lot of people who love this book :)

Reply
avatar
Anmol Rawat
AUTHOR
May 2, 2015 at 3:33 PM delete

That's what made me read this ;)

Reply
avatar

Shower the Love if you Liked the Post :) ConversionConversion EmoticonEmoticon