.

U: Ugly

U: Ugly - A to Z Challenge

I am Ugly. The world says so. They don’t know that when I was a child, my dream was to win a beauty pageant and when they say it behind my back it hurts me more than it hurt me when the acid drops blazed my face.

I can never forget that day because even if I want to, this society, this hypocrite society won’t let me forget it. What was my fault? Just that I did not want to talk with him because I never talked to strangers. He used to follow me from my college to back home. It was a daily chore and I kept ignoring for days no matter what he said. I asked him politely to leave me alone, but he did not listen. It was afraid as the days passed; who won’t be?

I decided to talk with my parents. They were infuriated I did not tell them earlier only. They decided to file a report against that guy. I told the police everything they asked.

I was happy because he stopped following me from the next day. However, I did not know that the happiness that I had found for maybe a week will cost me so much. The next week, he was there. Scared, I started walking towards the rickshaw stand. He approached me before I could reach. All I remember after that is a bottle that shined in the bright light and the screams that echoed in the street the moment he splashed that liquid on my face.

Today when I look at myself in the mirror, tears escape my eye. Yes, just one eye. One was damaged in the accident. I don’t know if he had been caught by the police after what he did with me, I have stopped keeping a track. All I know is that nobody can return me what I have lost. People simply sympathize with me and try to pretend that they care. The truth is that nothing has changed. The world stops caring after some time and it moves on. The only one left behind is the one who is the victim.


Linking this post with A to Z Challenge.

Previous
Next Post »

4 comments

Write comments
April 26, 2015 at 6:24 PM delete

It's so heart wrenching when victims cannot protect themselves with such obsessed n sick people. Well written Anmol.

Reply
avatar
April 26, 2015 at 10:03 PM delete

I think you have captured the thoughts and emotions of a woman struck with acid extremely well Anmol. :) It makes me wonder what others go through, not that I'd want to know of course! Such a sad and horrific crime!

Reply
avatar
Anmol Rawat
AUTHOR
May 2, 2015 at 3:33 PM delete

And it happens a lot :/
Thank you Vishal.

Reply
avatar
Anmol Rawat
AUTHOR
May 2, 2015 at 3:34 PM delete

Thank you Elly :)
We can't even imagine the plight. It wrecks the life of the victims. :(

Reply
avatar

Shower the Love if you Liked the Post :) ConversionConversion EmoticonEmoticon