“We have been making love for the past twenty days and I cherish every single moment of that time spent with you”, he read in his wife’s diary. “The burning desires were feeding on my soul and I feel complete now”, it read further. A tear dropped down from his left eye over the page diluting the inked letters. His heart was broken today and he could read no further. “Was this the reason he had returned home safely from the battlefield? He would have loved to die before reading it”, he thought in a surging pain.
This post is written for Lillie McFerrin Writes - Five Sentence Fiction-Pages.
Also linking the post with The Ultimate Blog Challenge.
Sign up here with your email

37 comments
Write commentsPoor man! Nice take on the prompt.
ReplyWow feel for him, then maybe he shouldn't have been reading the diary
ReplyI guess it's a case of curiosity killed the cat, no? ;)
ReplySad.
ReplyOh gosh! She was having an affair..sad for the man and hope he finds true love.
ReplyOh wow! That twist in the end just blew me! Amazing take on the prompt Anmol :)
ReplyYeah, it would hurt so badly. Thank you Reema :)
ReplyYeah. But then, he might have remained in the dark forever. It could have been for good or even bad.
ReplyYou can say that on a lighter note ;)
ReplyYeah!
ReplyYeah I felt bad when I was writing it. He will :) Everybody does it someday (on a positive note).
ReplyThank you Vinodini :)
ReplyI'm glad it could surprise you :)
Oh wow, what a twist!! Really sad but equally a beautiful emotion. :)
ReplyThank you Soumya :)
ReplyWhat happens next: you have me in suspense? Is this not part of a novel? Albeit it is sad, will it have a happy ending? I want - my heart - to know that it will!
ReplyThe image of a tear dropping and smurging the inked words had me hooked to this!
ReplySad one, Anmol. Wonder why people cheat...
ReplyIt's just wow. I thought the wife died or is dying, but the word "battlefield" just made my heart twitch. Very good :)
ReplyThat is why I left it there. Believe it to be what your heart says :)
ReplyNo it's not a part of a novel, I wrote it just for a prompt for Five Sentence Fiction.
Am so glad that it could generate curiosity in you :)
Thank you so much :)
ReplyI wonder that too :)
ReplyThank you so much Namrota for dropping by and for the lovely words :)
ReplyThe abrupt end has generated a lot of curiosity . Was she really having an affair or was it a short story she was writing? A sequel would clear the doubts.
ReplyOh my God, happens! so sad for a true husband :(
ReplyOh...my God !! Is this what life is .....amazing take on the prompt :)
ReplyHeartbreaking. But well done.
ReplyGood story, but warriors don't cry over untrustworthy women.
ReplyRandy
Oh no! Poor chap! Lovely imagery created in just 5 sentences.
ReplyBeautifully written :) Nice take on the prompt bro :) Awesome. Loved the way you ended it.
ReplyCuriosity is good ;)
ReplyI won't write a sequel. You can think of it like you would like to :) I leave it on everybody's individual perception.
Yeah. I could feel his pain while writing.
ReplyThank you :)
ReplyLet's just say that life is unexpected :)
Thank you so much :)
ReplyThat's a positive approach :)
ReplyThank you Aditi :)
ReplyThank you bro :)
Replyohh ohh... I feel sorry for him :(
ReplyTina from The Sunny Side of Life
Shower the Love if you Liked the Post :) ConversionConversion EmoticonEmoticon