I was just 6 years old when I was married to a guy double than my age. People said that I was lucky because people usually got their daughters married at the age of 3 or 4. I was lucky to have been allowed to live for a few years more without being tied to a relation that I could not even understand at this age.
While writing this journal entry today, I feel lucky to have survived from a situation that had left me vulnerable. It was not just about the marriage itself. It was about staying in a stranger’s place where people treated you like their servant. I was beaten up, molested, forced to starve and do all the chores of household.
That had become my destiny until the day I decided to run. With shreds of clothes on my body that revealed the bruises and stomach that ached of hunger, I fled from the living hell when I was just 13. When I think of it at present, I get shivers thinking I might have ended up in a worse situation. Thankfully, I found shelter in an orphanage.
I’ll turn 18 next month and I have decided to dedicate my life towards the cause. I don’t know how much difference I can make but I will try my best. :
While writing this journal entry today, I feel lucky to have survived from a situation that had left me vulnerable. It was not just about the marriage itself. It was about staying in a stranger’s place where people treated you like their servant. I was beaten up, molested, forced to starve and do all the chores of household.
That had become my destiny until the day I decided to run. With shreds of clothes on my body that revealed the bruises and stomach that ached of hunger, I fled from the living hell when I was just 13. When I think of it at present, I get shivers thinking I might have ended up in a worse situation. Thankfully, I found shelter in an orphanage.
I’ll turn 18 next month and I have decided to dedicate my life towards the cause. I don’t know how much difference I can make but I will try my best. :
Linking this post with A to Z Challenge.
Sign up here with your email

9 comments
Write commentsAnother touching story on human triumph and never give up in life. Superb:)
Replygreat story on humanhood
ReplyA story too often repeated. May she have the strength to fight this culture of abuse.
ReplyThank you Vishal :)
ReplyThank you Amar :)
ReplyI hope so too. May all those who are living under same circumstances find strength.
ReplyNice story anmol. Hope no one goes through this hell ever.
ReplyTouching story and true too for many ladies among us!
ReplyThe vulnerable state of women is a realityt in many parts of our country...very sad state of affairs. I like the turn of events in this story with the change in her thinking.
ReplyShower the Love if you Liked the Post :) ConversionConversion EmoticonEmoticon