.

2 States: The Story of My Marriage - Review

2 StatesStory of My Marriage Review

2 States Story of My Marriage Rating

Author: Chetan Bhagat
Publisher: Rupa and Company
Publication Year: 2009
ISBN: 9788129115300
Pages: 269


2 States: The Story of My Marriage is a story based loosely on the real life story of Chetan Bhagat. The story is simple. A guy and girl fall in love with each other. The problem arises when they want to move forward in their relationship and tie in a knot.

Krrish is a Punjabi boy and Ananya is a Tamil Brahmin girl. Their relationship is jeopardized by this ethnic disconnect as their families reject their love. But both of them are determined to win each other’s families and would go through anything that can help with the situation.


So, I wanted to read 2 States: The Story of My Marriage for quite some time now. I have been suggested this book by so many people and since the movie is up for the release, I decided to pick it up and I am glad that I did.

Fore mostly, the book is thoroughly entertaining (except a section where Krrish joins the Citi Bank and too much information and office stuff is pushed into story). I don’t know if the humor might be taken down as offensive as I am neither a Punjabi nor a Tamil Brahmin and so I will only say that it was entertaining. I felt like I was watching a Bollywood movie. Frankly, I don’t mind it. I read for the pleasure of reading and grasping emotions not to find all the literary details and class. So it worked well for me.

Next, I love the characters of Krrish and Ananya in 2 States: The Story of My Marriage. Their fate can easily be understood as marrying someone from a different state or a different culture is really a big thing in India. I liked how Chetan Bhagat stayed close to the reality. May be the idea of uniting a nation a bit much exaggerated but thought provoking indeed. I loved the flood of emotions at places often making my heart warm.

The thing that I did not like was that most of the efforts were made by Krrish alone. In the chapters where Ananya comes to Delhi, she was easily baffled and did not show the same patience or courage that Krrish has shown. Definitely it makes Krrish a better character overall for me. It was heartwarming how he managed everything just to claim his love.

Overall, 2 States: The Story of My Marriage is definitely a page turner and an interesting read. I liked it a lot and would recommend it to everyone who likes to read Indian romance fictions. But if you are looking for a classical piece of literature, this book was never meant to be that. So there is no need of trashing it.

The world's most sensible person and the biggest idiot both stay within us. The worst part is, you can't even tell who is who.


Previous
Next Post »

6 comments

Write comments
Shruti Modi
AUTHOR
March 26, 2014 at 10:31 AM delete

Yea i totally agree with you Anmol.. :)

Reply
avatar
Anita
AUTHOR
March 26, 2014 at 3:10 PM delete

True, Anmol! I loved the novel! Now waiting for the movie! :)

Reply
avatar
Anmol Rawat
AUTHOR
March 27, 2014 at 1:59 AM delete

Me too :) And since the day I have heard the song 'Mast Magan' of the movie, the anticipation is on par.

Reply
avatar
April 16, 2014 at 8:39 PM delete

in which chapter number is the part where krish is made to where the the lungi.....heard it is hilarious.

Reply
avatar
Anmol Rawat
AUTHOR
June 20, 2014 at 1:25 PM delete

I don't remember the exact chapter number but it's towards the end. Yes it's pretty funny :D

Reply
avatar

Shower the Love if you Liked the Post :) ConversionConversion EmoticonEmoticon